HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

17inch rims on an HCHII?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default 17inch rims on an HCHII?

Hi guys,

I'm new to these forums but I have been hypermiling my HCHII since I got it a few months ago. Recently I came across some nice 17 inch rims that I really like so I was wondering...will the 17 inch rims be bad for the suspension or any other part of the car? and how big of a hit in FE can I expect? The rims are 17 inch 6 spoke rims from an 05 Acura TSX .

Thanks for your help,
-Bill

Old 08-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 17inch rims on an HCHII?

Will they even fit?

Old 08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Excited to have it!

I don't know if they will rub, but it probably depends on what tires you put on them. You could try to keep the overall diameter to stay constant, so you won't screw up your speedo- and odometer.

What counts for FE is 'unsprung weight' and rolling resistance. Your HCH has very lightweight rims and lightweight, Low rolling resistance tires.

How much do the rims weigh and what kind of tires are you thinking?

I love the OEM hybrid rims...I've thought of putting them on my wife's Civic LX

Old 08-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

I got the idea from another forum online where some guy put the exact same rims on his Honda Civic + lowered it (http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/wheel...th-gen-16.html its the post by "ZestJDM") and still had no rubbing so I think fit and rubbing won't be a problem. The guy who is selling the rims is including the OEM tires from the TSX which are michelin 215/50/17. I'm not sure about weight but they are likely heavier than the aluminum alloy OEMS from the HCH. Good idea? or should I downscale and go for the 16 inch EX wheels?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

even if they fit without rubbing you are going to be losing some mpg's. What’s more important to you looks or mpg's?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The answer is a big hit on fe! Why would you even think of putting 17" on a HCH2. Sell them to someone that can use them.H

Old 08-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast

I haven't bought the rims it was just an idea. I knew it was a bit of a stretch which is why I asked here to get some input. What about the EX rims, someone here must have switched out their rims for the EX ones...how big of hit was there on FE?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

The Civic Si uses 17" rims with but with 215/45 tires. It's possible the TSX rims would work but as others have mentioned they will no doubt be heavier which can add higher loads to the suspension components and affect your FE. The ones you are considering are about .5" larger diameter than your stock rims or about 4% larger. If you really feel you want something else on your car I would strongly suggest going with the 205/55 x 16"s found on the EX Civic. These size tires are very popular so your choices when replacement time comes will be better and I would think cheaper too.

I've come to appreciate the look of the pie plate rims. So far they are a breeze to keep clean and I'm convinced they do add to the car's FE.

Cheers from another recent member and new HCHII owner.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default 16" EX rims are the ticket

I have 16" EX rims on my HCHII, and they work fine. No hit in FE, and the diameter is just a bit smaller than the 15" stock HCHII tire/rim size, and that fixes the Speedometer error and puts it right on.

I am using Michelin Pilot Exalto tires, and they are superior to the Dunlop and Bridgestone OEM tires. The Michilens give me an extra 6 mpg over the stock tires.

FYI, the 17" TSX and SI rims have a different offset which causes them to rub on the brake caliper of the HCHII. 3mm wheels spacers take care of that, but ride, and rotational mass suffer. Stay with rims no larger than 16".

Old 08-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast

@ Dream'R: Possible issues with the suspension are what worried me, looks like I'll have to pass on the 17s

@ Orient Express: Your HCHII is looking good with those rims! and no hit to FE...that sounds great. I guess I'll go with the EX rims after all, they are a huge improvement in looks over the pie plates.

Quick Reply: 17inch rims on an HCHII?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands