HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

1st oil change came sooner than expected

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow 1st oil change came sooner than expected

My '09 has 6,500 miles, and I just got the service reminder that 15 percent of my oil life remains. The car is 14 months old. I drive conservatively, and do about 50 percent freeway driving. What have others found to be a typical mileage interval for the first oil change? Thanks!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Default Re: 1st oil change came sooner than expected

Hey Steve, your not to go over a year on the same oil!All kidding aside, My 2006 normally goes to about 14000 kilometers per oil change. Yours does seem to be early for sure. Maybe it is do to the age of the oil? Anyway 15% lasts for awhile, so you may get to 8000 miles

H

Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Most vehicle oil change intervals are either mileage or time - whichever comes first. I suspect you are over on the time limit. If you do a lot of low speed, short distance driving, your oil will accumulate moisture (water and gas blow-by fumes) that will over work the oil additives (high engine temps tend to burn off the moisture). Most oil change reminders are mileage dependent.

Look at your maintenance guide. If it says a year, then get it changed quickly.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Steve,

The owner's manual mentions that the oil in the HCHII should be changed after one year even if the reminder hasn't reached the lower limit. You should get it changed fairly soon. The filter is normally changed with every second oil change.

A regular contributor to these forums has an oil analysis done each time and follows a 10,000 mile interval with very good reports. Mobil 1 in 0W-20 weight is a preferred oil once the motor has been broken-in, which yours is now.

I'm sure no harm has been done. You may even see a bit better mpg with new full-synthetic oil in the motor.

Cheers,

Roger

Old 05-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Arrow Re: 1st oil change came sooner than expected

Thanks, all. I appreciate your feedback!

Yes, I've been eager for my reminder to come on, so I could change to synthetic. I had planned on Amsoil, but may opt for Mobil 1 or similar for convenience.

I'll be pleased to pick up a MPG or 20.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 PM

We've been consistantly hitting 15% around 9000 km, plus/minus 500 km. That's with a fairly high percentage of short, local trips.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 05-02-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

I just switched to amsoil 0w-20 and have noticed a couple MPG increase, nothing huge but something. The one thing I have noticed is seems like my oil life is not dropping as fast. I will update with how many miles I got between oil changes on the honda 0w-20 compared to amsoil, I am curious to see if there is any substantial mileage increase between changes. I switched cause I can use Amsoil and change it myself for cheaper than the dealer with honda oil.