HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2006 Civic Hybrid Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 05:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2006 Civic Hybrid Warranty Question

I have a 2006 civic hybrid with 144k. The car has been acting really underpowered for about 3 years now, and we asked the dealership multiple times what was up and they kept saying everything was fine. Well yesterday the IMA light came on. It was off when I started the car later in the day and has never turned back on. The engine light is on though and has not turned off.

I have many questions, but my big one is about the states that have CA emissions standards getting the 150k/8yr warranty. Does anyone know if your state had to have adopted CA emissions at time of purchase or is it any state that currently has adopted CA emissions. I live in Maryland and in 2009 (well after the cars purchase) my state adopted the CA emissions standards. I think it’s a long shot, but I would like to know if that qualifies me for the 150k warranty.

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for talking with the dealership about getting the new batteries at a discounted price even if you are past the warranty. I am going on Saturday 1/26 and want to try and make every right move. The last thing I want to do it have to junk this car which besides for the stupid IMA system is still in great shape.

Thanks in advance for all of the help,

Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Warranty Question

Some purchase from a wreck. 400 to $500 dollars for the pack. The wrecker could even swap it out for you? H

Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 AM
Enthusiast

I have no idea why, but on Saturday when I took the civic to the dealer to confirm the IMA battery needed to be replaced and thus I would need to sell the car, since I was not going to pay 4k in repairs for a car with crappy engineering that has 150k. The dealer called me about an hour later and said he did not know why but there was a recall on the battery that extended the warranty until 170k miles. I was blown away, and they are currently replacing the batter free of charge and I should have it back Thursday.

Needless to say I am as happy as can be, but has anyone heard of this recall and extended warranty on the IMA battery? I am still nervous that they are going to call and say it was all a mistake and I owe them 4k.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 AM

Yes and I believe it is posted here on another thread re: HCH2. H

Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Think green.

The warranty was extended due to this:

http://www.hchsettlement.com/

and also a previous issue of odometer overstatement where 5% was added on to the mileage portion of the warranty (TSB 06-085)

Old 01-30-2013, 01:54 AM
Enthusiast

It can’t be the original settlement you linked to. My car has 144k on it and I’m only okay at math but 80,000 plus 12,000 I think only equals 92,000 add 5% to that you are close to 97,000 and not 170,000.

I wonder why they extended it to 170k, the guy at the dealership had said he never saw this warranty code come up before on the computer, but he was real happy it did.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:02 PM

I believe it was extended because of that court case in California last year, H

Old 02-01-2013, 04:14 AM
Enthusiast

I wanted to give an update on my IMA battery. It actually all worked out. I got the car back yesterday and I only had to pay for my oil change and about $400 for a broken rear brake line.

I know I have not had the car back for long (about 100 miles) but I am only averaging 36.5 mpg. The battery indicator looks like it is working again and there definitely seems to be more power again during acceleration. I was just thinking I was going to get back to the 40-43mpg that I averaged when the car was new. What kind of mpg averages do you all get? From the looks of it a lot of you get close to 50mpg. I drive pretty fast (average about 75 on the highway), but I am just disappointed in the gas mileage. I had a 2008 Sentra that I drove the same way and averaged 33mpg.

This car was initially my wife’s car and she bought it before we met and I always tell her I think this was the biggest mistake she has ever made (besides marrying my crazy butt). This whole hybrid thing just seems like a big scam to me. Does anyone else ever feel like that? A 2006 gas Civic probably gets close to 30mpg, and would not basically need its motor replaced at 144k miles.

I know this probably goes against what most people here think, but I just need to vent. I am glad Honda stepped up and replaced the battery, but I am just not sold on the hybrid/electric technology.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 AM

Better check your tires . Ft.40lbs aft. 38lbs. The dealer probably lowered the pressures? H

Old 02-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks H, I will take a look today.

Quick Reply: 2006 Civic Hybrid Warranty Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands