HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2006 Civic Hybrid Won't Turnover

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Civic Hybrid Won't Turnover

Took the original Honda starter to Advance Auto and had it tested. The starter is fine. Now I'm really frustrated with the dealer, since they told me they double-checked and were sure that the starter was bad.

Anyway, any advice on next steps for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Basically, you're limited to the:

Battery
ignition switch
#23 relay fuse under dash
starter relay
#1 and #2 under hood series fuses
PCM
starter
transmission range switch

Attached is a diagram of the starter circuit.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Civic Hybrid Won't Turnover-honda-start-circuit.png  
Old 12-04-2017, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you very much! Very helpful.

FWIW, my cheapie consumer-grade OBD-II scanner is showing a POAE1 code...

Old 12-04-2017, 08:54 AM

That's the HV battery contactor circuit. It usually means either the main fuse is blown, or the contactor has gone bad. Both require accessing and removing the battery to test components on the junction board.

I don't have access to my manuals at the moment, so I don't know if that code disables the car. I don't think it does, so it should still start from the backup starter.

Did the dealer give you codes?

You also need to make sure that the 12V remains charged. I would put it on a charger to keep it fully charged.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast

Btw, which one is the starter relay? The diagram on the under-hood fuse box does not have text describing the relays, so I don't know which one it is. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot100
Btw, which one is the starter relay? The diagram on the under-hood fuse box does not have text describing the relays, so I don't know which one it is. Thanks.
Diagram I included says under-dash.

See below.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Civic Hybrid Won't Turnover-under-dash.png  
Old 12-09-2017, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you!!! I have now confirmed that the ignition switch and starter relay are good. I jumpered across the load terminals of the starter relay socket (relay removed), and the car started! From the diagram Keith provided, this seems to indicate that the problem is with the PCM or the transmission range switch. Does anyone know where the transmission range switch is on this car?

Old 12-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast

Never mind on the Transmission Range Switch. I found it (thanks to a $10 1-day subscription to the tech Honda service site), checked it, and the test passed. So... I suppose this means I probably have a PCM issue. Scary. Is there a PCM reset that I can perform without having Honda's diagnostic system? I only have a cheapie handheld OBD II scanner.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:05 PM

Given that this all started after a very long sit - here's what I'm thinking - you have two issues:

1) your IMA battery discharged to the point that the car won't start with IMA.
2) The backup starter system isn't working.

Given that you have found a way to get the backup starter to start the car, it may be worthwhile to see if it will charge the IMA battery. Let it idle for 10-15 minutes. Disconnect 12V for 1 minutes, reconnect and try again. Continue this until the car has charged the battery to full 3 times.

If you can get the IMA battery back to a healthy state, this becomes an annoyance.

Generally, PCM errors have codes and cause strange things to happen.

12V disconnect usually causes all ECUs to reset; however, there is a specific PCM reset within HDS, so it's possible that's what it needs as the PCM can store data even without 12V power.

Per the diagnostics, did you check for battery voltage at the PCM connecter pins A12 and A7 to ground with the key in the start position?

Old 12-14-2017, 06:20 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Given that this all started after a very long sit - here's what I'm thinking - you have two issues:

1) your IMA battery discharged to the point that the car won't start with IMA.
2) The backup starter system isn't working.

Given that you have found a way to get the backup starter to start the car, it may be worthwhile to see if it will charge the IMA battery. Let it idle for 10-15 minutes. Disconnect 12V for 1 minutes, reconnect and try again. Continue this until the car has charged the battery to full 3 times.

If you can get the IMA battery back to a healthy state, this becomes an annoyance.

Generally, PCM errors have codes and cause strange things to happen.

12V disconnect usually causes all ECUs to reset; however, there is a specific PCM reset within HDS, so it's possible that's what it needs as the PCM can store data even without 12V power.

Per the diagnostics, did you check for battery voltage at the PCM connecter pins A12 and A7 to ground with the key in the start position?

Quick Reply: 2006 Civic Hybrid Won't Turnover

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands