HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2006 Honda Civic Hybrid won't start even after jump

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid won't start even after jump

I thought I would share my very recent experience with my 2006 HCH. Hubby drove it a couple of nights before to go Christmas shopping. He left the "map" lights on overnight. The next day, I went to go to the grocery, and the car wouldn't unlock from my remote. My remote is older and well used, so I thought maybe something was wrong with it and hubby's key would work. No luck. I manually unlocked the door with the key and got in to notice the map lights on but very dim. I figured I had a dead battery. I called AAA and they came out with a jump box, but the car would not start (panic setting in). The car had full electrical power, navi working, lights did not dim when trying to start the car while hooked up to the jump pack. Still just a few clicking sounds and it would not start. To make a long story short, we eventually had to have it towed to a Honda dealer where they said the 12 volt battery was totally dead and wouldn't even take a charge. They replaced the battery and the car STILL would not start. Eventually they figured out that the theft-deterrent system was not recognizing any of the keys (luckily we had brought all three with us to the dealer just in case). The service manager had no idea why this would happen with a simple dead 12v battery, which was frustrating. So basically, we had to pay $125.00 for the battery and install as well as $129 for them to reprogram the system to recognize the keys. So I guess if the 12v battery dies completely, there is a chance the system will lose the ability to recognize the keys and the car still will not start. I just bought the car 35 days ago as a certified used vehicle (my favorite 2005 HCH was recently totalled by a dummy in an SUV who rear ended us on the freeway), so I'm going to ask the dealer to cover the costs....I'll let you know how that goes. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same problem. My 2005 never had a need for a jump, so I don't know if the same thing would have happened on that one....Thanks guys. I'm new, but this place has been very helpful so far!

Old 12-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid won't start even after jump

I wonder how that would work: anytime you disconnect the 12 volt, say for replacement, the 12 volt capacity is completely gone from the picture, and yet this doesn't normally cause the keys to fail. Maybe something in the computer's logic, say: if there are multiple attempts to start the car (without success) it shuts down?

I elected recently to do a premptive replacement of our 12 volt, even though it was still functional. Maybe good practice, say at 4 years max, or even more frequently, if it's your do-or-die vehicle?

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 12-16-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've been there before (many times) but never fail to start when power applied again

typically when batt fail you will hear that clicking sound
you should remove the battery from the connector and jump start to confirm if it loading the system
more likely the alternator battery charger fail will show your symptom

btw reprogramming the keys do not cost me a single cent here
since the remote fail, they should not charge you for stock being faulty
as its their job to restore to its original state

Old 12-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks to both of you for your answers, it feels better to know I am not alone. I called the dealer I bought the car from, and they were NO help at all, saying they gave us a great deal on the car and that all the "Honda Certified Used" means is that the car is safe to drive :/. I will not be purchasing my next Honda from them and made that clear to them, still no help. They did suggest however that the keys should not have been unrecogized and that I call Honda of America and fight it out with them. I plan to do that. However, another problem has now surfaced. After driving one day with no problems after the keys were recoded, I was driving yesterday on the highway and after about 10 miles, the IMA and the check engine light went on. THe car drives fine, the assist and charge seem to be working normally....so I guess it's back to the shop today. I'll keep you posted. THanks again for taking time to read and respond to my post....I just wish I had my old 2005 HCH....no problems with her...RIP.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am a bit confused...I read somewhere here that the car started with the IMA motor and not the 12V battery hence no chance of wearing out the starter. If the 12V fails the car should still start and then charge the 12V battery, should it not? I am also new with this car (3days owner) but I have been reading every post in this forum to educate myself.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by linx3566
If the 12V fails the car should still start and then charge the 12V battery, should it not? I am also new with this car (3days owner) but I have been reading every post in this forum to educate myself.
It's true that the IMA battery starts the car (usually, expect in extreme cold), but without the 12 volt battery it all falls apart: the car's computer needs the 12 volt, and various other support systems. If the 12 volt is dead you will not be able to start, even though the IMA does the actual starting.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes that will explain it...the 12v supplies power to the sub systems. When does the regular starter comes into this process?

Old 12-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

From what I understand, Mendel is right, the IMA starts the car, but can't work without the cars computer system running which depends on the 12v. Also, with my car, the problem ended up being that the theft deterrent system decided not to recognize any of our keys when the 12v did die. That meant towing it and getting the keys and car "reprogrammed". Here is a really helpful link to simply exlaining the relationship between the 12v and IMA batteries. After the section at the top labeled "question", you have to expand the conversation by pushing the "+see more" button to the lower right of the question.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...ctrical-system

Old 12-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Enthusiast

Oh, one more thing to add. The carfax that I got for this car before I bought said that the 12v battery was replaced just 14 months ago, so I am going to call Honda and ask them to honor the warranty since it was a Honda battery installed at a Honda dealer even though it was the previous owner. I will also ask them to pay for the "reprogramming". Now the "check engine" AND the "IMA" warning lights are on...so guess where the car is sleeping for a while? Yes, back at the service department! Ugh!

Old 12-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danelle
From what I understand, Mendel is right, the IMA starts the car, but can't work without the cars computer system running which depends on the 12v. Also, with my car, the problem ended up being that the theft deterrent system decided not to recognize any of our keys when the 12v did die. That meant towing it and getting the keys and car "reprogrammed". Here is a really helpful link to simply exlaining the relationship between the 12v and IMA batteries. After the section at the top labeled "question", you have to expand the conversation by pushing the "+see more" button to the lower right of the question.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...ctrical-system
Thanks for the link...explains 12V and IMA relationship. Cheers

Quick Reply: 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid won't start even after jump

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands