Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   2008 HCH struggling up 18% grade. Normal or is my CVT failing? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/2008-hch-struggling-up-18-grade-normal-my-cvt-failing-31928/)

dlstech 04-27-2019 05:03 PM

2008 HCH struggling up 18% grade. Normal or is my CVT failing?

I've been commuting in an 08 HCH and sometimes if there's traffic on the freeway, my GPS will re-route me through downtown Seattle to shave of a few minutes. I've done it twice now and noticed that the car REALLY struggles when I'm stopped on the steep hills. Won't move at all with normal gas, I have to really step on it and get the RPM to at least 3-4k to get it moving. And even then, its much slower than all the other cars off the line. I looked up the area online and found that the particular hill has an 18% grade. The car feels underpowered but doesn't really have a problem accelerating during normal driving. I'm averaging 42.5 MPG, hand calculated. And this CVT fluid only has 5k miles on it (OEM Honda).

Is this just because the HCH is severely underpowered? Or is my CVT possibly starting to have issues? I decided not to take that route again and just stay on the freeway when my GPS tries to re-route me through downtown

S Keith 04-27-2019 05:40 PM

Re: 2008 HCH struggling up 18% grade. Normal or is my CVT failing?

18% is like climbing a mountain.I think you've just discovered how gutless they are. MANY cars will feel underpowered STARTING up an 18% grade.

I personally wouldn't take that route anymore.

CanadaJimmy 04-29-2019 10:43 AM

Yeah, from a stop up a hill the HCH2 does struggle to get moving. I think it takes a few seconds for the CVT to "realise" and adjust the ratio. I have found replacing the air filter with this one - - and adding a bottle of Chevron Techron concentrate into the gas tank to clean out the fuel system every few months keeps the engine power up and does seem to help though.

S Keith 04-29-2019 11:04 AM

Vigorously recommend you NEVER install a washable air filter. Yes, they absolutely help with power... probably about 0.5hp more, but that's always at the expense of allowing more particulates into the engine and reduced life.

+1 to Chevron Techron (as gas)

$0.97 jug of fuel injector cleaner is much more cost effective.

CanadaJimmy 04-29-2019 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 267922)
Vigorously recommend you NEVER install a washable air filter. Yes, they absolutely help with power... probably about 0.5hp more, but that's always at the expense of allowing more particulates into the engine and reduced life..

Oh... :(

Well everything is a compromise I suppose. Given the engines lower than average power output I'll probably just continue to chance it, since it needs all the help it can get really.

dlstech 04-30-2019 07:50 PM

That's what I figured, just wanted to make sure because this is my first CVT car.

As far as the filter goes, it's alost always best to go with OEM. It's been proven over and over that aftermarket performance filters do not filter as well as OEM. On top of that, most OEM filter can flow more than enough air volume to support a stock motor. Dropping in something else without any other mods or a tune won't do a thing.