HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid IMA and Check Engine lights on then both turned off

Old 10-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid IMA and Check Engine lights on then both turned off

My wife and I own a 2008 HCH with 80,000 miles on the clock. While we were out yesterday the IMA and Check Engine lights both came on. After a conversation with two technicians at our local dealership, the first stating to diagnose the car would cost $95 and a further $3500 for the battery as the battery warranty is only 80,000 miles while a second confirmed the car was in fact part of the settlement class and so the additional 12,000 mile warranty for the battery was applicable and he even offered to diagnose for free. On the drive to the service center the IMA light turned off but she was still diagnosed and a new battery ordered to which I'd receive a call when it comes in. Today we started the car to find no lights on. My main concern about this is that even though she was previously diagnosed and that is on file that because the lights are now off they may refuse the repair under warranty. My question therefore is will the diagnostic procedure usually cause the light to turn off and with tv eight being out can they refuse repair under warranty even though the event is documented. We do have the software update if anyone is wondering.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid IMA and Check Engine lights on then both turned off

I carry my digital camera with me in our HCH 2007, so that if the IMA light comes on, I will pull over (safely) and take photographic proof. In fact, if I'm within reasonable distance of our selling dealer, I'll drive over, leave the engine running, and bang on the service bay door so they will witness it.
My IMA has been behaving erratically for 6 months now, (including a 8700 km /5400 mile highway trip) but the dang light will not go on. Still have 17 months or 33,000 km /20,000 miles warranty left on the hybrid components.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid IMA and Check Engine lights on then both turned off

There is thankfully a happy ending; the tech who plugged her in to check the code said that the part was ordered and he took the code so as far as he was concerned the work was going ahead and that was that (really hope this doesn't cost anyone a job). Since the battery has been replaced we're slowly getting her mileage back up it's currently at 35.8 for the tank and the work was done about a week or so ago and we're getting into winter blend has so I'm not expecting miracles this year. Just as an FYI the battery warranty on the new bat is only up till the end of the existing warranty so when it comes time for this one to die we'll be on our own but at least we saved $3500 this time round.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast

I don't know who started that rumor that having the light illuminated at the time of dealer appointment is a requirement, but that's not the case. It's stored in the ECU and can be read through OBDII. I have had one replaced this month.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:11 PM
Enthusiast

I bought a 2008 Honda civic hybrid, the IMA light has come on as well as the engine light... Recommendations? Will Honda honor the warranty? Please advise

Old 05-09-2015, 06:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sonny Nguyen
I bought a 2008 Honda civic hybrid, the IMA light has come on as well as the engine light... Recommendations? Will Honda honor the warranty? Please advise
Go to your nearest Honda dealer immediately. They will honor the warranty provided you are in the warranty period.