HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

25 Forced Regenerations in 1000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 25 Forced Regenerations in 1000 miles

I have a 2006 Civic Hybrid that for the past 2 1/2 years has had forced regenerations once every few weeks or so. In the past 6 months it has been much more frequent. I keep records over the past 1000 miles and had over 25. Some took place within 5-10 miles of the previous one, most were in the 20-30 mile range. My dealer checked the car out, consulted with Honda who is claiming it is normal.

I have called Honda directly and have opened a case with them. Has anyone here gone through this with their vehicle and had any success in getting the problem corrected? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 25 Forced Regenerations in 1000 miles

Re gen or re calc? are you going from 5 bars to 0 in a couple of seconds or are you simply having the meter go into the green zone while you are driving?

Old 07-27-2009, 05:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am going from 5 bars to 0 or 1 in a few seconds.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

I heard that doing a power reset helps.

ks

Old 07-27-2009, 06:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

What is a "power reset"?

Old 07-27-2009, 07:10 AM

O.K. for the sake of clarity, that is a re Calibration and that many are not normal...take the car to the dealer, if they can't/wont do anything, contact Honda and register the problem.
I would have the 12v battery checked, they only seem to be lasting about 3 years and are causing all kinds of off things to happen, anyone who sells batteries should be able to do a load test for your...replace it with the same type of battery if it is bad, a bigger battery can cause problems to or that is what I have read.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

What is the difference between a calibration and regeneration? I opened a case with American Honda last week.

I will have the 12V battery checked and appreciate the tip!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:01 PM

Regeneration is what the car does normaly, every day, every time the bar dips into the green it is regeneration, this is normal & expected ortherwise the battery would go dead quickly. It usually happens when you brake or slow down...if it does it while you are maintaining speed or accelerating it is not a good thing that means your battery is too low and this is called forced regeneration.
Re calibration means your system can't figure out the exact state of charge or thinks it is wrong, it dumps whatever charge is showing (white bars to the left of the charge gauge) usually to about 1 bar, and starts fresh....while at 1 bar you will have diminished power and auto stop will stop working, this is not really a great place to be because it, costs you gas when you have to rev the engine up to 3,000 or 4,000 rpm to get moving, this should happen at most every few months, it is also normal but should not be happening nearly as offten as you report.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Update: I had the Tsb 09-058 update as well as numerous other software updates performed on my vehicle yesterday. I have driven just 25 miles since I picked up my car from the dealer and have already experienced 3 re-calibrations. The good news is that I have noticed a 'change' of some kind in the overall performance of the vehicle for the better. I will follow up with more details after driving the car for a while.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

After several days of driving with the software updates, I am happy to say that the updates have really helped with FE. Although the calibrations are still there (one every 15-20 miles), my FE has been in the high 50's to low 60's, back where I used to be in spite of the recalibrations.

I drive the same route to work every day and notice increased FE during several portions of the trip. The biggest difference in the calibration that I have noticed is that they are occurring more often than not while the car is moving rather than when stopped. For those of you experiencing these, you know how starting from a stop with no assist kills FE.

While I am stuck dealing with this issue until a fix comes along, it is a little more bearable now. My guess is that my battery is on its way out but Honda cannot change it until it delivers an error code.

Quick Reply: 25 Forced Regenerations in 1000 miles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands