HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

25 Forced Regenerations in 1000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 25 Forced Regenerations in 1000 miles

Well, after 4 days at a 2nd Honda service center, I got the same song and dance I got at the first one - the condition is normal. I am now averaging a forced regeneration about every 10 miles - one on my way to work and one on the way home. I am not impressed with Honda nor happy about it.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ppgroup
Well, after 4 days at a 2nd Honda service center, I got the same song and dance I got at the first one - the condition is normal. I am now averaging a forced regeneration about every 10 miles - one on my way to work and one on the way home. I am not impressed with Honda nor happy about it.
Get on board. It took about 6 months of my IMA battery have to do a forced regen after every start till my IMA light came on yesterday. I'm at 59,800 miles. Dealer ordered a new IMA battery and Controller for me today under warranty. At ~30,000 miles IMA system totally collapsed. All lights on the dash flipped on and electric motor was 100% null. Honda said it was a software problem.

I am debating about selling it, so I don't have to deal with buying the next IMA battery at 115,000 miles.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast

Right there with you. We had all the same symptoms, re-calc every time the car's been off for over an hour and FINALLY the IMA light came on Thanksgiving day.

Went to dealer next morning and they ordered a new IMA battery for us. They are still waiting to get it from Honda, hope there's no fancy tale behind that.

Read the posts on this board, this is a widespread problem that will eventually affect most all HCH owners. Once the stinking battery is in and working we can sell this thing with a clear conscience.

I am annoyed at Honda, but let's face it batteries suck and are not ready for primetime in any device, let alone a car. Same failure mode as your cell phone and laptop. Work fine for a while, then quit keeping a charge and you have to get a new one.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Since I had in writing from Honda that this issue is 'norma' (right), I had no issues trading the car in. What I find disturbing is that since Honda knew the battery was close to the end of its life ((weeks or months at best) and they are going go have to change it sooner rather than later, why not just swap it out and keep a customer happy and keep a customer. They lost me forever and share my story with anyone I talk to that is interested in a Honda product.

I agree with the previous poster - this is likely a widespread problem that will affect more than just a select few HCHII owners.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:45 AM
Enthusiast

Good Morning All,
I really need to vent in how disappointed I am with Honda Motor Company and my 06 Civic Hybrid. I have been in the automotive industry and employed by a domestic manufacturer in the technical end of things for over thirty years and I have never been so frustrated with the lack of lack of customer service and product reliability by the once almighty and powerful Honda Corporation.

The only reason we purchased this automobile is so my wife that I love dearly could drive in the rideshare lane by herself to and from work on the busy Southern California freeways. Of course the mileage helps with gas at the price it is at but that is secondary. About 1 1/2 years into our ownership my wife had concerns about a lack of power, low battery state, and forced regens. This was going on during the hot socal summer and I started working with my dealer on this concern but I was advised all is normal.

To make a long story short and after many dealer visits we are at the 3 1/2 year ownership point. I have bought my wife a Escape Hybrid to drive because I do not feel safe or confident with her in the Civic trying to drive on the freeway and losing the battery, you might as well be driving in deep sand, very unsafe! I have had all the updates, patches, reflashes done and the car is still miserable to drive. I did meet with the Honda Parts and Service Director for our area to voice my concerns and he listened to my concerns and said all we need is a IMA light to come on and we could replace the IMA battery, sweet!

We left for a trip to Arizona last week and the Honda sat all week as we took our Escape on the trip. When we arrived home I jumped in the Honda to go to the grocery store and as usual instead of using the IMA motor to start the engine the standard starter cranked her over and the engine started but to my great surprise the IMA light came on! I was never so happy to see a light come on. I plugged in my scan tool and pulled a P0A7F "IMA Battery Deterioration" and went to the dealer right away praying the light would stay on which it did. The dealer took it in and to my surprise I recieved a call later in the day that Honda would not replace my battery but install another patch and give that a try.......

I picked up the vehicle the next day and lost all battery power within 1 mile of the dealer and the vehicle performed a regen. It also still uses the standard starter motor to start the engine. I let the dealer know and they said nothing can be done unless the IMA light comes back on.

Sorry again for the long letter but it has been a long 3 1/2 years of ownership of a vehicle that was produced by a once great manufacturer. I have owned many previous Honda's over the years and stil have 3 Honda motorcycle's. It appears there are many other folks in the same boat as I am.
Have a Merry Christmas, Jack

Old 12-26-2009, 06:05 AM
Enthusiast

Jack,
I am sorry you feel that way, and regretfully I know exactly how you feel. I just wish the dealers would stand behind these cars better. My car struggles to get anything better than 34 MPG (and that FE is quickly deteriorating) and all I hear is "that it is normal". My car force regens on every drive as well. In the end it makes me feel like a crazy person and I used to LOVE Hondas...I don't enjoy feeling like that at all. I hope you get some help soon and your dealer and Honda decide to show some integrity.
Todd

Old 12-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast

You could do what my friend does in a situation like this. Walk into the showroom of the dealership and complain loudly in front of all their customers of how after tens of thousands of miles, and years of ownership, Honda won't even replace a battery under warranty that is killing your fuel mileage and gives your vehicle starting problems which is the reason you bought the vehicle in the first place. It also helps if you make eye contact with the customers and say 'YA HEAR THAT?!!'