HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

44 mpg again

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 44 mpg again

Originally Posted by Harold
Mike
We are 108.9 here and much more in Vancouver. I think it was 122.9 last week. Did you motel it or tent it on this trip? I,m thinking of a trip across Canada with my HCH2 and tenting it. During bad weather could motel it or B&B. H
Well, when a 355 ml can of Coke is $1.25, I guess $1.229 for a liter of fuel is still pretty cheap.........

We did a motel enroute to and from the island in Riviere-du-Loup. We rented a cottage on the island for the other 7 nights. We usually do the B&B thing, but could not find any in the Riviere-du-Loup area that had private bathroom. Mike

Old 01-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Veteran Mechanic

As a new owner I don't have so many posts but I'm happy with my 32 city and 40+ hwy mileage I don't hyper-mile(yet), but I am interested in learning all about it on this site and others. I have figured out how to put my car into the pseudo-Atkinson cycle so far and cruise, I know that's part of it. I know I would have to change my tires and wheels first as mine don't quite fit the hyper-mile profile, Also I want to completely fiberglass over all possible areas of the undercarriage making the underside of the car that much more aerodynamic… I figure a nice 2 ply fiberglass sheet would do the trick since I don't want much weight and the thinner it is the cheaper it is to fix as it takes damage from road debris.

I don't think I would have bought a salvage 08 HCH unless I had the understanding of electronics that I do from years of auto diagnostic work and EE schooling. So yea for the average joe I wouldn't recommend this car, sadly I would have to say "Get a prius or a fusion etc. Honda has dropped the ball on the civic hybrid but I'm right here ready to pick it up.

I now have a 08 smog exempt car…. just think of the possibilities once the hybrid system decides to drop dead. By then the SI engines will be all over the place in junkyards(hopefully if I can get this car to last 100k, has 15k now) or maybe there will be a drop in fuel cell and an electric drivetrain that will fit right down in there. Who knows? but I sure see a multitude of possibilities.

The traffic here in southern california moves so fast and the drivers tend towards road rage often, thus I don't quite get to drive the <60 mph I need to, to hyper-mile, unless I want to risk a gunshot from a passing car someday lol..

Old 02-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Veteran Mechanic

I wonder how high the real % are for defective batteries, as so far mine is working like a champ even after being "salvaged". I bet honda keeps those numbers closely guarded. But we as consumers could find out if we wanted to as well.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Hyper-Everything'er

Add in another perfectly happy owner here. Bought an '08 with 20k miles. Get 50+ mpg round trip to work and have averaged 48+mpg over 4 tanks. Weather has been below freezing here most every day, and I'm only using the most convenient of hypermiling techniques.

Consider me a happy owner as well. I'm so happy my wife avoids me because I can't stop talking about how great it is. I think I'll sue Honda for "marital discord".