HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

A1 Maintenance Question

Old 10-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast
Question A1 Maintenance Question

I just got an A1 maintenance code. My HCH II has around 19000 miles. Oil life is 15%. I called two different Honda dealers to get service estimates. The first dealership said that an A1 is an oil change and tire rotation for $65.73. The second dealer said I need a minor service with oil change, tire rotation, brake inspection, emergency brake adjustment, top fluids, lube doors/windows for $179.99 He suggested I call back the first dealer to verify I was getting the same level of service. I called back the first dealer (talked to a different service person) who said that the minor service described by dealer 2 is $91. I'm confused, as with my old non-hybrid car I would just take it in for minor/major services at dealer recommended intervals, so these codes are new to me. With the A1 code, do I need more than an oil change and tire rotation? Should I pay for the $65 or the $91 service? (When I called the 2nd dealer back, he said he could lower his price to $139.95, but couldn't match the $91). I have to take it to a dealer because I want to get the brake light recall serviced at the same time. Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A1 Maintenance Question

The first dealer is correct! Oil and tires rotation.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Energy Independence

1st dealer is right, as per the owner's manual. Those other things may be nice, but are not required, and I wouldn't recommend them at every A1 service. A1 service IS basically oil change, tire rotation. Many people also change the oil filter with each oil change.

2nd dealer is ripping you off, as is typical. They *may* even be a good service dealership. I deal with a Mazda dealership that is like that. They try to add "needed" services. It's easy money for them. Occasionally, I agree with them, as the Mazda recommended maintenance schedule really is a "bare minimum" schedule. But mostly, I stand firm and stick with the Mazda schedule.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: A1 Maintenance Question

I'm happy just to get the oil change and tire rotation.

Does this mean that I no longer have to schedule service according to mileage (for example, 50,000 mile service)? Will the maintenance code system tell me when to have the brakes checked, etc? I guess my real question is, as long as I strictly follow the maintenance codes that appear on my dashboard, can I forget about all other servicing? (I'm assuming I'll still have to figure out when my tires need replacing.) Having dutifully followed the dealers' (expensive) recommendations for regular servicing on my previous cars, I can't believe that the HCH will "tell me" whenever it needs a trip to the garage!

Thanks, again.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

That is correct. When the vehicle needs service, the exact services that are needed will be displayed in the form of codes.

Which dealer is dealer #1?

Old 10-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Energy Independence

I agree that the maintenance 'minder will tell you - most things.
And that the traditional x service at y miles thing is not-so-much with this car (and many of the newer cars).
There ARE some exceptions. If you drive very little, you should get the oil changed once a year, max. The maintenance 'minder probably will not tell you this.
And I've heard that if you drive very little, some of the calculations the maintenance 'minder does may not be as accurate.

Also, there are some rules-of-thumb.
For example, if the service code for changing transmission fluid does NOT appear before 30,000 miles - get it done anyway! I plan to have mine done every 25K (or sooner, if it tells me to. That's the important one I can think of at this moment.

One more thing: it will not alert you to simple, every-week (or so) tasks.
Like checking tire pressure, oil level, etc. And, use common sense. If you HEAR the brakes squeaking or grinding, get it checked out. Don't wait, expecting the car to "magically" figure it out (and display a code). It may not check this particular item - and can't check every item (or the system would cost more than the car!).
There are often many, many thousand miles between the scheduled services (ones that the maintenance 'minder tells you about). Many things *could* happen between them.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gumby
I agree that the maintenance 'minder will tell you - most things.
And that the traditional x service at y miles thing is not-so-much with this car (and many of the newer cars).
There ARE some exceptions. If you drive very little, you should get the oil changed once a year, max. The maintenance 'minder probably will not tell you this.
And I've heard that if you drive very little, some of the calculations the maintenance 'minder does may not be as accurate.

Also, there are some rules-of-thumb.
For example, if the service code for changing transmission fluid does NOT appear before 30,000 miles - get it done anyway! I plan to have mine done every 25K (or sooner, if it tells me to. That's the important one I can think of at this moment.

One more thing: it will not alert you to simple, every-week (or so) tasks.
Like checking tire pressure, oil level, etc. And, use common sense. If you HEAR the brakes squeaking or grinding, get it checked out. Don't wait, expecting the car to "magically" figure it out (and display a code). It may not check this particular item - and can't check every item (or the system would cost more than the car!).
There are often many, many thousand miles between the scheduled services (ones that the maintenance 'minder tells you about). Many things *could* happen between them.
I really appreciate this clarification. I'm going to copy your reply and put it in my car manual for future reference.

It sounds basically like a common sense approach - don't wait for the minder to tell you that your tire is flat - but the transmission fluid hint is one I wouldn't have a clue about.

No danger of me driving too few miles with my hybrid. As a matter of fact, Dealer #1 is not as conveniently located as Dealer #2, but I'd rather drive further, and spend the money I've "saved" while my car is being serviced!