Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH II-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/)
-   -   AC Issue works on belt but not electronically (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-ii-specific-discussions-51/ac-issue-works-belt-but-not-electronically-31906/)

Nixion Gomez 03-30-2019 10:21 AM

AC Issue works on belt but not electronically

Hi

I have an issue with the AC...
It works well when the engine is running but in auto stop the AC is not cold at all and no sound coming from the engine( used to be cold with some sound coming from the engine).

Then now... the auto stop won't work if my AC is on.

My guess is something is wrong with the AC electric compressor side.

Anyone has this problem before? And How you solve the issue?

S Keith 03-30-2019 03:07 PM

Re: AC Issue works on belt but not electronically

If the A/C demand exceeds the power requirement of the electric A/C motor, you won't get auto-stop.

You must understand that the electric portion of the A/C compressor is VERY weak compared to the engine driven portion. It will generally only work when the car is completely cooled off, and the A/C is only needed to keep the temperature cool.

First thing to check is if the refrigerant is low.

Nixion Gomez 03-30-2019 11:30 PM

I totally understand the electric A/C motor will not be as cold as belt driven A/C.

My question is... what do I check if I'm very sure that the electric A/C has stopped working? Cos there used to be a sound coming from the compressor when it runs electronically.

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 267747)
If the A/C demand exceeds the power requirement of the electric A/C motor, you won't get auto-stop.

You must understand that the electric portion of the A/C compressor is VERY weak compared to the engine driven portion. It will generally only work when the car is completely cooled off, and the A/C is only needed to keep the temperature cool.

First thing to check is if the refrigerant is low.

S Keith 03-31-2019 07:37 AM

Please clarify. You've presented diagnostically irrelevant information:

1) You've stated that when A/C is on, auto stop won't work - NORMAL when A/C load is too high.
2) You've stated that when in auto-stop, no sound from A/C - NORMAL because #1

Both of the above indicate that the A/C load is too high to permit auto-stop, so based on symptoms, there is no problem. You didn't specify that you're complying with the operating conditions I described.

Assuming
1) you have NO other issues, i.e., no IMA light, IMA battery is fully functional, etc.
2) you're not perceiving a problem where there is no problem

Then check fuse #22 (7.5A) in the under-dash fuse/relay box.

Nixion Gomez 03-31-2019 09:30 AM

1st of all... thank you S Keith for all your replies.

Sorry if I've explained my diagnosis in the wrong way.

1st... the problem happen when in autostop the AC not cold in a normal load setting( used the same setting for years and no problem).
When the engine starts then the aircon turn cold as its belt driven.

2nd... now because the aircon compressor cannot work electrically... the autostop function also doesn't work when aircon is on.

These happen just last week.
No warning lights.
Sent the car for a check and the technician claims the compressor need replacement without checking anything which I don't believe it's the problem.

The aircon works fine when driving.
I'm very sure the aircon don't work in electrically. I'm hoping it's just a fuse or relay blown.

I'll check fuse #22 as advised by S Keith and update.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 267751)
Please clarify. You've presented diagnostically irrelevant information:

1) You've stated that when A/C is on, auto stop won't work - NORMAL when A/C load is too high.
2) You've stated that when in auto-stop, no sound from A/C - NORMAL because #1

Both of the above indicate that the A/C load is too high to permit auto-stop, so based on symptoms, there is no problem. You didn't specify that you're complying with the operating conditions I described.

Assuming
1) you have NO other issues, i.e., no IMA light, IMA battery is fully functional, etc.
2) you're not perceiving a problem where there is no problem

Then check fuse #22 (7.5A) in the under-dash fuse/relay box.

Nixion Gomez 04-01-2019 08:09 AM

I've check fuse #22 and it's not blown.

Any other fuse or relay connects to the AC electric compressor?

Originally Posted by Nixion Gomez (Post 267752)
1st of all... thank you S Keith for all your replies.

Sorry if I've explained my diagnosis in the wrong way.

1st... the problem happen when in autostop the AC not cold in a normal load setting( used the same setting for years and no problem).
When the engine starts then the aircon turn cold as its belt driven.

2nd... now because the aircon compressor cannot work electrically... the autostop function also doesn't work when aircon is on.

These happen just last week.
No warning lights.
Sent the car for a check and the technician claims the compressor need replacement without checking anything which I don't believe it's the problem.

The aircon works fine when driving.
I'm very sure the aircon don't work in electrically. I'm hoping it's just a fuse or relay blown.

I'll check fuse #22 as advised by S Keith and update.

Thank you.

S Keith 04-01-2019 08:26 AM

AFAIK, only for the compressor clutch, and that would prevent operation on the engine drive side.

I suggest you buy yourself a service manual:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2007-2...YAAOSwoR9aA6F~

There are diagnostic procedures to check various connectors/sensors for your symptom.

Nixion Gomez 04-01-2019 08:37 AM

Thank you for the suggestion.
I suppose I'll just leave it as it is...
The car work fine
Just that the AC electric compressor won't work.

Thank you for all the reply S Keith

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 267759)
AFAIK, only for the compressor clutch, and that would prevent operation on the engine drive side.

I suggest you buy yourself a service manual:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2007-2...YAAOSwoR9aA6F~

There are diagnostic procedures to check various connectors/sensors for your symptom.