HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Accessories for Xmas gift to new owner...ideas anyone?

Old 12-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default Accessories for Xmas gift to new owner...ideas anyone?

Hey guys, this is a nice little forum you have going here. Lots of tidbits of good info, and hopefully the database of info will grow with the community.

Anyway, onto my question. My father just picked up an '07 HCH II in silver/blue, without nav. He's been a wagon guy his whole life, and just traded in his '97 Passat VR6 wagon for the hybrid. Said he was willing to compromise the extra space and 5 speed for the betterment of the earth and the environment, or some bs like that . So I figure it would be nice to get him something for his new ride, and I was just wondering if there are any must-haves for these cars. I have yet to ride in it or see it, but I'll be spending plenty of time in it this holiday season when we cruise up and down California to see relatives. Until then, I have no first hand experience with it, so don't know where improvements could be made.

He's an active person who enjoys the outdoors, so I was thinking some rubber floormats or other things to keep the new interior clean might be a good place to start. Any other ideas?

Old 12-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Accessories for Xmas gift to new owner...ideas anyone?

rubber floor mats and trunk tray would be a good start.

seat covers?

Old 12-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Energy Independence

Rubber mats would be a good idea. Consensus is to get the black one, no matter what color the interior (or the carpeting) is. The ivory ones just get too marred-looking too quickly.
They now make a trunk mat, also, trimmed especially for the Hybrid.

To me, a sunshade is necessary (in the Texas sun). The front glass is SUV-sized tall. Really. Several of us has one made by Covercraft. It's expensive, but nice. Search around here, and you'll find these items and more being talked about.

And - welcome

Old 12-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The all-weather mats or that new trunk tray (listed for 2007 HCHs)!

Old 12-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the ideas guys! I'm gonna stop by the dealer and see what they have in stock.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree, the trunk tray;

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=11444

Old 12-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I just got the trunk tray (my wife picked it up, so that officially makes it her gift to me!!!). I do like it, but it's pretty flimsy. A lot thinner than I thought it would be for $70. Still glad I have it, though.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Enthusiast

So I ended up getting him black rubber floor mats. Kinda pricey, but I'm coming from the Bimmer side of things so I suppose the equivelent mats would cost 3x as much for a new 3 series. I guess I should think of them as an investment because theoretically they should last as long as the car and they'll keep it nice and tidy. Next year I'll get him the trunk tray

I must add that I drove it today to and from dinner. It's pretty comfy and roomy for a Civic. My dad and myself are 6'3", but we fit just as easily into this car as we do in my mom's Accord. I like that it is a lot more normal than the Prius. No ridiculous proximity keyless start, no odd shifter, fairly standard display, although the digital speedo will take some getting used to. Acceleration is...well...like a hybrid. It's not too bad from first impressions, but what was strangest to me was that it didn't seem to make any extra power in the higher revs. But this is just from 20 minutes of easy suburban driving, so I'll have the full review after the 1,200mi we'll be putting on it this next week

Old 12-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

David, you might be interested in this chart from an earlier thread where I was contemplating the potential improvement in switching out the stock air box for a cold air or short ram intake.