HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Aftermarket GPS questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Aftermarket GPS questions

I am about to purchase an aftermarket GPS / Navigation system and will be using it in my 06 HCH and another vehicle. I am looking for feedback from anyone else who has added an aftermarket GPS to their HCH. I read the following thread: http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/showthread.php?t=8822&highlight=GPS
which was good, however I had a few other questions of anyone who has done this:
  1. Do you need an external antenna, or does the GPS pick-up OK through the front windshield?
  2. If you use an external antenna, where and how do you have it mounted ?
Thanks in advance for the feedback

Old 07-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket GPS questions

I have a Garmin C330 and I love it. My HCH II has a built-in but we use the Garmin in my wife's truck and it's not gotten us lost yet. A "bean bag" mount is available for the dash as well that is far more convenient than the windshield suction cup.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

In Canada we do not get the Navi option at all .

Because of that we have to resort to the alternatives. In my case, I went with a PDA based GPS solution running Tom-Tom GPS.

The package I got from them comes with the software and a bluetooth GPS antenna capable of tracking 20 satellites at one time. The TomTom antenna is velcroed in the central console along side the shifter and it works better than my old Garmin3XX suction mounted on the windshield. Since the antenna is bluetooth there are no wires to the PDA which is also very clean and safe.

All-in-all it is OK and I am quite happy - especially with the Mr. T GPS voice, it gets tiresome but it is a riot.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I assume you want a "car-specific" model? I just got a Garmin 60 CSx which is designed for hiking/biking/outdoors, but can be used in the car too. I have a bean bag mount that works really well--even on momentum saving "death turns." I place the mount right next to the speedometer so it's easy to read.

Without knowing how it was going to work, I almost ordered the antenna, but decided to wait. It's a good thing I waited because that would have been throwing money away. The stock antenna is sensitive enough to lock on to satelites in my BASEMENT! I've never had any issues with signal--even in remote canyons. The sensitivity, as well as the more compact size/durable case are the main reasons to get a hiking model instead of a car-specific one.

The only real negative is that it doesn't talk to you--you just get a beep about 0.2mi before your turn. My wife was kinda bummed about that since she doesn't like to take her eyes off the road. I'm so used to looking at my FE meter every few seconds that it is a total non-issue for me.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Energy Independence

Nice report on the Garmin 60CSx, Kristian! I am interested in one of these (for another vehicle and outdoor hikes, etc.)

I presume this means you like it for the hiking/outdoors as well.
What maps did you have to buy for it? I've gathered that the included one is no good for in the car, and not really good enough for hiking/outdoors, either. True?

Old 07-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Thanks for the great feedback so far. Based on Kristian's feedback I think I will hold off on buying the Ext. antenna until I see how it works with the internal one. The GPS I went with, I chose because it is portible, so I can move it over to my boat in the summer and naviagate the waterways. It "talks", so should be interesting, especially around the water - "...turn left now to avoid going aground" !! Seriously, I am not expecting a lot of "vocal" guidance while boating.

Most GPS's sell Marine maps you can load, but most are real expensive, but the maps I ordered for mine were not too bad.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a Garmin 2610 that I purchased new about 3 years ago... I use a beanbag mount and no external antenna. Have used it in over 10 different vehicles, in many different parts of the country with no issues at all. I do not think an external antenna is necessary with most of the vehicle specific nav units, in most situations. I am sure there are exceptions when an antenna might come in handy...

Old 07-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gumby
I presume this means you like it for the hiking/outdoors as well.
What maps did you have to buy for it? I've gathered that the included one is no good for in the car, and not really good enough for hiking/outdoors, either. True?
The included one is worthless for everything. I bought a car kit version that came with the road maps and the bean bag mount and it seems pretty good so far. It has my tiny cul du sac on it, but does not have an extension of a MAJOR road here in town that was completed about 2 years ago which surprised me. We used it on a trip to Napa CA, and it performed well, although it defaults to major streets when giving directions, even if there is a more direct route on minor roads.

I started logging all kinds of information about my daily (HCH) commute for some correlation analysis, but have gotten lazy. I need to start it up again because I would like to have some interesting graphs by the end of the summer on average speed vs. FE, altitude gain vs. FE, etc.

As far as topos go, I figured I would take a wait and see approach. Several friends have recommended different programs, but I have yet to pop for any of them.

I have only used it on trails that I know, or on trails that friends know so I haven't really used the mapping, but I absolutely love it. I've found that many of our climbs aren't as big as the guide books say (or as long). It's nice to know exactly how far you've gone and how high you went.

Last edited by kristian; 07-05-2007 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Added info about Napa trip
Old 07-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

I was so disappointed to find out that I could not get the Navi installed with the factory look..

So i too have started looking into the portable ones since my honda dealership wants $3,000 to put one in the dash and it doesnt even have voice commands.

So as far as the portable ones, im torn between the
Garmin Streetpilot c550 for its cheaper price, live traffic (with subscription) and bluetooth
Similar is the Garmin Nuvi 660 which Ive read really great things about.

and lastly the Magellan Maestro 4050 which has bluetooth and voice commands as well as the text to speech functions of the others.

anyone have any idea which would be better?
I want to run around and try to find them locally so i can play with them. but im also worried about it interferring with anything in the car.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
HOV lane commuter

Instead of the Maestro 4050, look at the 4040 which is the same product without the voice command (which works OK, but not as feature-packed as as could be) and the live traffic cradle (although you can add a 4040 traffic kit plug in and antenna that neatly runs along the bottom of your windshield). Both the 4050 and 4040 are superior in terms of user-friendliness and satellite grabbing (time delay) than the Garmins I've tried. Live traffic is a great feature, though -- the 4050 has a built-in cradle so it's a nicer package than the 4040.

You can suction mount either one onto the smaller, left-hand-side window -- fits perfectly there and it's "not" on the windshield (illegal in Calif. and Minn.). The Bluetooth feature works very well ... can connect you to any Point of Interest (AAA Tourbook included in the product) through your cell phone. Only issue that I've had with Bluetooth is the road noise in the Civic at higher speeds.

Garmin makes a good product, but the several people I know who've compared the Maestro (not the Roadmate) to the Garmin products agree with me that Magellan is the superior choice.

http://www.magellangps.com/products/....asp?segID=408

Last edited by JRCaesar; 07-11-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket GPS questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands