HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Another DIY: connect map lights to dome light

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Another DIY: connect map lights to dome light

Greetings all:

The aim of this modification is to have the map/reading lights also come on when the doors open and/or when the dome light controller is selected to "on".

With this modification, one can still independently turn the individual map lights on and off irrespective of the doors being open or closed and/or the position of the switch on the dome light assembly.

Step 1. Unscrew, electrically disconnect and then remove the dome light assembly. Remove the light bulb from this assembly.

Step 2. Unscrew, electrically disconnect and then remove the reading/map light assembly.

Step 3. Using a 3 foot section of automobile wire, strip about 3/4 inch worth of insulation from one end.

Step 4. Prepare the dome light assembly as depicted:

Another DIY: connect map lights to dome light-img_9630withmod.jpg
See photo above. The striped end of the wire (from step 3, above) will be attached to the GROUND side of the light bulb holder. The GROUND side of the light bulb holder can be identified by its relative proximity to the assembly ground loop around the mounting screw hole.

My technique for attachment was to unfold the 2 tabs holding the GROUND side light bulb holder to the plastic base. I then fed the wire between the metal of the bulb holder and the plastic base.

Another DIY: connect map lights to dome light-img_9631.jpg
See photo above. Note the metal tabs for the GROUND side of the light bulb have been bent back into their original shape. I then used a wire zip-tie to give the connection good, firm mechanical support. I have put the bulb back in place for clarity.

Step 5: Feeding the wire (from step 3, now attached to the dome light assembly) from the dome light cavity to the map/reading light cavity. My technique was as follows:
5.a. Temporarily remove the 2 sun visor end clips as per the photo below:
Another DIY: connect map lights to dome light-img_9641.jpg
This step, along with the removed map/reading light assembly, gives one the needed "flexibility" (give) in the ceiling material to help the wire feeding process;
5.b. Using a 3 foot section of semi-rigid wire, in my case a 3 foot section of the (single) white "neutral" wire from a piece of 14/2 home wire, fish same from the dome light cavity to the map/reading light cavity;
5.c. Attach the free end of the wire (from step 3) to the dome light assembly cavity end of the semi-rigid wire (from step 5.b.) with tape;
5.d. GENTLY pull the semi-rigid wire end (poking from the map/reading light cavity) until the wire (from step 3) is now pulled through the map/reading light cavity; and
5.e. Remove the semi-rigid wire from the end of the automotive wire (from step 3).

Another DIY: connect map lights to dome light-img_9637withmod.jpg
See photo above. Electrical testing confirmed that the modification wire must attach to the first pin on the left in the depicted photo.

Step 6. Prepare and attach the automotive wire to the connector for the map/reading light assembly as follows:
6.a. Ensure that modification wire passes into map/reading light assembly cavity in same way that OEM Blue wire does so;
6.b. Cut the length of the modification wire such that it will be able to reach the end of the OEM connector while following the OEM wire path;
6.c. Strip about 3/4 inch of insulation from the modification wire;
6.d. Slip stripped end of the modification wire into the back-side of the unused end (NOT CENTER) cavity of the 3 cavity OEM connector;
6.e. As depicted in the photo below, use a wire zip-tie to give the connection good, firm mechanical support; and
Another DIY: connect map lights to dome light-img_9639withmod.jpg
6.f. Replace the sun visor end clips.

Step 7. Turn the dome light assembly "off". Electrically re-connect the dome light assembly. Reattach the assembly to the ceiling with the 2 assembly screws. Install the light bulb. Install the lens.

Step 8. Electrically re-connect the map/reading light assembly. Reattach the assembly to the ceiling with the 2 assembly screws. Install the 2 lenses.

Step 9. Re-set dome light assembly control switch to the "normal for you" position.

Your map/reading lights will now come on and turn off in concert with the dome light, IAW the dome light control setting. Also, individual control of the map/reading lights is maintained.

Cheers

Mike

Old 12-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: Another DIY: connect map lights to dome light

Very nice. An alternate method to connecting a wire to each bulb is to use the 3rd (unused) pin on the electrical connector to the map light assembly to run the ground lines.

The map light bezel is already set up for using the map lights as additional dome lights, all that is needed is to connect ground lines to the connector that plugs into the bezel.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Very nice. An alternate method to connecting a wire to each bulb is to use the 3rd (unused) pin on the electrical connector to the map light assembly to run the ground lines.

The map light bezel is already set up for using the map lights as additional dome lights, all that is needed is to connect ground lines to the connector that plugs into the bezel.
Gary

Looking at the photos in my first post (above) of my map light holder, would you call that ivory or gray? I will be ordering the navi-based map light holder soon and the 2 colors available are gray or ivory. My interior came with the dark blue cloth seats.

Thanks

mike

Old 12-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I think you have a grey bezel. The Ivory one is more of a Tan color. Take a look at the part number on your current Bezel. If it is 34404-SNA-A01ZG then it is the Grey one.

Last edited by Orient Express; 12-06-2009 at 07:52 AM.