HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Another DIY: Honda Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: Another DIY: Honda Homelink

It will be interesting to see what the pinouts of the connector are for a Navi/Homelink module. Be sure to check that the microphone connections are the same, especially Pin 5.

On the setup I got, pin 5 was used for the Homelink power, but the Civic had that pin as one of the 3 microphone leads. All of the other leads will be OK.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey w/Nav. I'll examine the 5 pin connectors, compare it's pinout to the 2008 HCH II.

Ya gotta think they'd pinout the same, but I guess not.

Either way, a quick swapping of pins should fix it.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
It will be interesting to see what the pinouts of the connector are for a Navi/Homelink module. Be sure to check that the microphone connections are the same, especially Pin 5.

On the setup I got, pin 5 was used for the Homelink power, but the Civic had that pin as one of the 3 microphone leads. All of the other leads will be OK.
OE, I need help.

Got the module (ody with nav), swapped in a blue led, and tested it in the wifes van. All of that works great. The setups look identical to your photos.

When I compare harnesses the Civic has 3 wires the Odyssey has 6. Clearly, 2 of the "new" wires are illum +/-... and of course the other is switched power... that's all I can figure out at this point.
What's really throwing me for a loop is the ody mic has only 2 leads going to it, not 3. Where that 3rd red wire going to on yours?

Without a wiring diagram, I'm shooting in the dark here.

Could you line out for me the pinouts of the Ody overhead console and the civic overhead console?

I'm usually pretty handy, I just haven't bought these manuals yet.

I'd appreciate the help.

FYI, the pinout for the Ody is as follows:
1 - blank
2 - blank
3 - thin gauge pink (mic signal +)?
4 - thin gauge blue (mic signal -)?
5 - white/ blue -?
6 - black (ground)
7 - red/black stripe - (illum) +
8 - blank
9 - blank
10 - green/red ???

Last edited by Kennedy; 04-08-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Chris:

It looks like the Mic that came with your Odyssey is different from the one that the Civic uses.

Here is the difference between your Homelink module and the Civic connector:

1 - blank same as Civic.
2 - blank same as Civic.
3 - thin gauge pink (mic signal +)? same as Civic.
4 - thin gauge blue (mic signal -)? same as Civic, but Civic wire is brown.
5 - white/ blue -? On Odyssey, this is Homelink + power, on Civic this is Mic white wire. On my setup I re-routed this mic wire to pin 9. For the Homelink power, I tapped a unswitched fuse location.

6 - black (ground) Homelink -, not used on Civic, so Civic harness needs this additional wire.

7 - red/black stripe - (illum) + not used on Civic, so Civic harness needs this additional wire. I ran this lead to a low-beam headlight fuse so the LED would be switched.
8 - blank same as Civic.
9 - blank This is the pin I re-routed the pin 5 microphone lead to.
10 - green/red ??? ambient light ground.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks...
Very helpful.

This kinda stinks, you'd think the microphones would be the same...

Looks like I'm gonna have to farm over the old microphone to make this work, since it appears the Civic uses a 3- wire mic opposed to the Ody's 2 -wire.

Could you discuss where you soldered the the leads of the of the mic to? I can kinda see 2 of them (, but what the red wire going to)?

After tracing the pins, I think I get it now...
If you relo'd pin 5 to pin 9 - it apears you connected that trace to the blob "solder sqaure" as part of the interface. So to verify:

Mic pins:
- pin 3 - black
- pin 4 - green
- pin 5 - white, relo'd to pin 9 , and connect to the solder blob square?

Sorry to be so needy. The good news is, once I figue this out in the public forums, the next guy to come along will be able to follow suit.

I think I got it.

Last edited by Kennedy; 04-09-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default For the relocation of the Pin 5 mic wire

I think that the extra wire on the Civic microphone is a lead to the noise compensating volume control on the radio.

So for the relocation of the pin 5 mic wire. The reason I chose to use pin 9 to relocate it, is that if you follow the pin 9 circuit trace on the Homelink circuit board, you will see that there is quite a lot of area that is available to solder the 3rd microphone wire to. Pick a spot, the square solder blob is fine.

Sounds like you are in the right direction.

One other thing, when you relocate the Civic mic to the Odyssey Homelink assembly, you will need to trim off the 2 spacer bars on the microphone receiver clip so the mic can fit flush on the assembly. This will be obvious when you put everything back together and see that the mic is sitting too high to get the trim bezel back on.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast

Yep...
Working it now.

Thanks again.
When I'm done, i'll post a thorough write up.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Enthusiast

Mic successfully transferred.

Gotta run my illum wire, and switched power, then I'll be done. Gonna do that next weekend, when I install the BlueConnect.

Gary, thanks a lot for the help. I know the Homelink and LED functions work, I tested them in the van. Just ran out of time today to run that wiring.

I'm NOT gonna wire to the constant 12V in the headliner... for one reason alone. If someone busts the window to steal my petty change, and has a bright idea to hit the homelink button... my garage opens.

... dn that's where the good stuff is.

Since I gotta run a a constant 12V, switched 12v and ground for the blueconnect, I'll just splice off those.

BTW, again...

I have a spare Odyssey homelink module if anyone wants one. - $80 delivered.

If anyone else wants to do it

Old 04-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default ¿¿ You park your HCHII outside??

Horrors of all horrors! What other car could you possibly have that would outrank the Civic for indoor parking?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

2003 Harley V-Rod, dripping in chrome...

Every man has to have a toy.

Quick Reply: Another DIY: Honda Homelink

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands