HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Another post from a happy owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Another post from a happy owner

With all of the negative posts here, I thought I'd post something positive.

This is my first winter using studded snow tires on the HCH, and I expected a pretty serious MPG hit from them. On the contrary, I have averaged 40.6mpg over the last three tanks during an unusually cold winter--much better than I expected. I've driven through unplowed snow as deep as 6" without any problems and I haven't had any issues stopping--even on ice packed hills.

My lifetime mileage (no longer tracked on Green Hybrid) has fallen to 50.2mpg since I moved back in May from an average of 51.2mpg before the move. It is a little frustrating that I have averaged 46.1mpg over the last 8 months, but my new commute isn't ideal for an HCH--I only drive 5 miles each way and it's a big hill.

My battery hasn't had a recalibration in the last 2 months so either the TSB is helping in my case, or the commute change has decreased the recalibration cycles. My battery gets WORKED a lot harder now than it used to on my old rolling hill commute.

In the 32,000 miles that I've owned the car, I've used 635 gallons of gas. If I take that same number of miles and divide it by 35mpg (a guestimate of my driving on a gas Civic), I would have burned 911 gallons of gas. At an average of $3.00 per gallon (I owned during the peak prices), I've saved about $830 in gas over the past 3 years.

At that rate, I will have saved $2,800 over the ten years I plan to own my HCH. From a $$ perspective, that is coming out ahead of a gas car by about $800. However, when you factor in the tax credits from Uncle Sam and the state of Colorado, I'm way ahead.

I am happy to drive a Civic Hybrid!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Default Re: Another post from a happy owner

Good call on the post Kristian.

I'm another completely satisfied owner. My car has been a tank in our heavy snow (wearing Blizzaks, of course) and I have been getting 35mpg when the highs were single digits and 47 today in the mid 20s.

This car has been rock solid and makes me look poorly on our 2005 Sienna in comparison.

I look forward to replacing the batteries at 150k miles so I can keep this car for 300k!

Cheers, nf

Old 01-14-2010, 03:10 PM

Not to bad kristian. Your hch2 is much cleaner as well than the standard Civic and of course it is more fun to drive over a standard auto? Hal

Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Glad to hear that your recalibrations are down, kristian.