HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Any advice on breaking in a new battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Any advice on breaking in a new battery?

I've been reading these posts for quite awhile, so thank you for all your advice and information.

My 2009 Civic Hybrid has been experiencing many of these problems with the battery (constant recalibration--five to ten minutes between) and all the hassles that go with that. I've been keeping track, and I took it to my dealer (bought it used, second owner, 50000 miles now), who said things weren't quite right, but basically right, so nothing they could do. Then opened a case with Honda USA (who so far has been good to work with), and they had an appointment set up with me for next week with the district service person (the Honda rep said my car shouldn't be operating as it has been).

But good luck, yesterday the IMA and check engine lights came on, so I made an appointment for the next day. Despite the lights having gone off, the code still showed that the IMA battery was faulty (can't remember the code, but something about some of the cells being bad). The dealer got the word from Honda to replace the battery, and it will be replaced Thursday afternoon. Interestingly, the service roe at the dealer said this would be the third battery for this car (I didn't know that), and he found that out from Honda. Does that mean anything?

What should I be looking for after we start driving with the new (or refurbished) battery? Any advice?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Any advice on breaking in a new battery?

mine was replaced last week ,..... I was asking the same question, not so many answers but lets wait for opinions and advises... i dont let the new battery get drain a lot the battery remain at 4white bars in the soC, never less seems that the software dont let it go less down, the power is notoriuos, not harsh staring with the second starter(spare?) asst is better and charging too, but I like to know if theres any formating in the first cycles charges discharges,,,,, any advises??

Old 03-19-2014, 09:00 AM
Enthusiast

There is no "break in" on a IMA battery, especially considering honda is selling you a "used" battery since Panasonic has not made "new" battery cells in many years. Honda replacement packs are simple reused packs from yours and others cores an d using used battery cells.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Enthusiast

booooo .. bad to read that .... even so my battery is doing great job now... im really impressend with 53 mpg mostly city , no efforts, 30
%hipermiling

Old 03-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast

My IMA battery failed at 12,000 miles and I now have 35,000 miles on it with out any problems. I did not drive differently after the battery was replaced.