HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Auto door unlock

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Auto door unlock

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to automatically unlock all the doors once the car is in P? I tried reading the manual and it is still not working. The manual states to put the ignition to II position, hold down the master door unlock, and hold until you hear 2 clicks and then release and put ignition to I position., I have tried doing this several times, and I have not been successful

If anyone else has tried this, can you please let me know? Thanks!!!

Old 11-21-2006, 12:34 AM
F**k ExxonMobil
Default Re: Auto door unlock

i press unlock twice, and all doors unlock.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

AFAIK there is no way to automatically unlock all the doors by putting the car in Park. There are options to unlock ONLY the driver's door when placed in Park, or to lock all of the doors when the car is taken out of Park, or to lock all the doors once you reach a few mph. This is one of my minor complaints - that when it unlocks the door it only unlocks the driver's door instead of all doors but maybe they had a reason for this. For the first few days I had this setting on my car I would go to the Passenger's side rear door and once pulling on the handle remember that the door is still locked, walk back around to the driver's door and unlock them all, then do it all again. Argh. Now I end up driving around everywhere with all the doors unlocked so I don't have that issue - so I have had to disable all auto locking/unlocking features of the car.

If you have the key fob then you can just unlock twice or in the driver's seat unlock all the doors but I don't think you can auto-unlock all simply by placing the car in Park though I would love to be wrong about this.

P.S. Getting used to the new layout of the website as it just came online again.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

2007 has this feature (I guess they heard the 2006 complaints!). I assume you also followed the other steps that you didn't mention? (setting parking brake; pushing & holding brake pedal; moving the shift lever out of park; put ignition back to I position & then move the shift lever back to park?) It also sounds from the instructions that you have to wait for the third click (one when you first press & hold the unlock switch, one 5 seconds later (activating driver door only) and one 10 seconds later (activating all 4 locks) - maybe you're just not waiting long enough....

I will try the steps today as well and see what luck I have (car came with the driver only unlock set and I haven't felt the need to try to change it.)

Last edited by kpalmal; 11-21-2006 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wow, I wonder if you can get a software patch/upgrade for the '06. It drives me nuts that it only unlocks my door.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Energy Independence

I second that upgrade request, AZMerf. But I doubt it. We COULD probably spring for buying a 2007 control module to replace the limited functionality 2006 version.
I'd luv to be wrong and find out that we CAN get an upgrade though.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

along the same lines, when i park the car i turn it off before putting it in park. This prevents the ICE from re-firing. However when i do this the doors stay locked.

anyway around this? Can i just prevent them from locking when i start driving?

this is irritating, and so it the car restarting when i put it in park. Why cant it just stay in auto-stop mode?

Old 11-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Perhaps it is to prevent lawsuits.

Someone may try to sue Honda when they put it into park, all doors unlock, and some thug enters the passenger door and mugs the driver.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

After MANY attempts at getting this to work I finally did it.

The trick is this: the directions say there is a click when you first press & hold the unlock button, then a click five seconds later, then, to get all doors to unlock, there is another click, 10 seconds later.

This is not quite right - when I first press the unlock button, there is a loud click & a soft click - neither of these clicks "count" when counting the clicks! (This was my mistake). About five seconds later there is another click & about five seconds after that, yet another. THAT is the point at which to turn the key back to the I position (it is in the II position for the duration of the programming; note that the II position is not the position with the car running, it is the position just before that - I, II, and III are marked on the ignition itself - that was another of my problems....).

Therefore, there are technically FOUR clicks in total - I was turning it back to I after the third click and nothing was changing (because that was how the car already was programmed). I now have all four doors unlocking when I put the car in P.

Hope that makes sense & helps!

Old 11-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

kpalmal - I think this is only a feature on the 2007 Civic. I tried this again tonight on my 2006 after reading your post and there are two discrepancies: 1.) the manual does not mention a section on "unlocking all the doors" but just the Driver's door and 2.) there are no more clicks after the one at th 5-second interval. I tried every possible combination (holding in the Unlock button, pushing the unlock button twice and holding, etc.) and no setup was successful in unlocking ALL the doors when putting the car in Park or turning off the ignition.

This is another feature of the 2007 model along with the Scan function with the steering wheel audio controls. *sigh*

Quick Reply: Auto door unlock

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands