HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Auto Stop changes its mind

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Unhappy Auto Stop changes its mind

I've had my HCH2 for 3 weeks now. And over the last week or so, I've noticed that the Auto Stop tends to skip out every so often. Initially it only happened when the car was just warming up (the first or second time AutoStop engaged on the trip). But now it seems to happen even after the car is fully warmed up.

As I come to a Red light ... I tend to ease it into a stop. So I use my brake .. gently ... but consistently to cut speed. Most often everything is fine and AutoStop engages as soon as the speed goes below 11km/hr with my foot on the brake. It will continue to creep ahead on momentum for a couple of metres after AutoStop has kicked in.

But then there are times when ... just as I am coming to a complete stop ... it goes into AutoStop and then suddenly kicks out of it. The Tach goes down to 0 and then back up to the 800 rpm mark. There doesn't seem to be a definite pattern yet.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am about ready to take it to the dealer.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Auto Stop changes its mind

Two thoughts. One- creeping forward. Some posters here don't seem to realize that if you try to creep forward after a stop the AS will disengage and the engine will come back on. It sounds like you do realize this, because you say that your foot is still on the brake, so that probably isn't the problem.

Two- temperature. The first time this happened to me, I was really taken aback, but shortly after the engine warmed up enough to let me AS, and I sat there with the engine off, it disengaged and the engine purred back on again. I determined with the help of posters here that it was probably the temperature dropping back down again after I came to a stop. It has only happened to me a few times in a year and a half, so if you're seeing something that is much more frequent than this or in hot weather, or long after the engine is past warm enough to AS, then this isn't your problem, either. But I thought it would be best to run these ideas by you first, since you ask, before sending you off to the dealer.
Good luck!

Old 04-25-2007, 10:15 AM

I've noticed that after applying brake and getting into auto-stop that if I do not maintain firm pressure on the brake pedal the engine may start.

I think the car thinks I want to go forward.

Maintain firm pressure on brake.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:38 AM

It happens to me as well if you ease off the brake pressure to much. I think kenny hit the nail!

Old 04-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

i experienced this when the temperature was in the 30's and 40's. Usually occured when Auto Start kicked in the 2nd or 3rd time. I have my foot on the brake and then it starts up. I thought at first that I wasnt applying enough pressure, but it happened several times. Do you think it has anything to do with the engine not being warm enough? I dont think its anything wrong with it. Just wait until it gets warmer in your area.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Enthusiast

I've had several instances of being stopped at a light with auto-stop and had the engine start back up. I believe it's because it isn't sufficiently warm.

I've also had the creep forward restart. I like to ease off on the brake as I come to a stop so as to not have a harsh stop. However, I've found that if I ease of too much, the engine starts back up (after it auto-stopped while slowing).

Old 04-27-2007, 05:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well ... I'm sort of glad that I'm not the only one seeing it. Although it seems to have been better over the last couple of days - just one skip which was during this morning's commute. I normally try to avoid harsh stops to prevent the jerking but due to this ... I have even tried keeping my foot firmly planted on the brake.

So far i can't really see a pattern. Weather over the last couple of days has been around 12 degrees Celcius (this morning it was around 8 with some rain). The engine seems to be warm enough since AutoStop successfully engaged a few times before the skip out this morning. I've had Autostop engage successfully with both gentle and hard stops. Infact now that I think of it ... the longer the car creeps forward after AutoStop has kicked in ... the less the chances of it jumping out of it when I come to a complete stop. I know that doesnt make much sense.

Anyways ... I'm going to monitor it for a bit more and see how it goes before hitting the dealer. On average so far i think I experience it once a day. Seems kinda high. Or is it?

Old 04-27-2007, 08:27 AM

V, I think my HCH does everything you talked about! Sounds normal. I don't drive mine every day as I am retired.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:42 AM

Yeah, once a day definitely seems too high.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast

yes, this has happened to me as well. I had my foot on the brake firm.

I think what happened in my case several times, is that there is a temp difference in our home garage / and even the parking garage. Once it gets out into the "relative" colder weather, it may effect it.

It has only happened about 3 times during cold/mild weather.

Quick Reply: Auto Stop changes its mind

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands