HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Battery crash / no regen braking??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery crash / no regen braking??

Well now. That t-stat wire corrosion idea is a new twist. I'd be very interested to know where to look. Guess I'll do some nosing around, but that engine compartment is packed pretty tight...

Thanks for the report!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This has never happened to me, but I rarely see 100 degree temps. The fact that some have seen it when it is cool is disturbing. This doesn't sound like it has anything to do with calibration. That happens when the iFCD goes to zero bars momentarily, then comes back up to normal. So far as I know, calibration doesn't affect the SOC display.

The thermostat wire corrosion sounds like it could possibly explain all of the posts here. I would suggest calling Honda and getting a case number assigned. That way everyone who has the problem can call and use the same case number, and use that case number when reporting to the dealer. That is the best way to get action, as has been demonstrated with the infamous 100km/63mi bug, and other issues.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I just heard from the dealership. As I expected, they did not show any codes or problems with the IMA system, but they did find that there were three software upgrades for my car and they performed all three of them. Between those and the new control arms, I feel like I'm going to be picking up a new car!

I will top off the gas tank tonight and post an update if I see any effect to mileage based on the software upgrages. Naturally, I will also post back if I continue to experience the battery crash more frequently than once a month.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:13 PM

Keep us posted Kristian. Did you tell them to check the wire at the themostate? Good luck,H

Old 07-30-2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Harold
Keep us posted Kristian. Did you tell them to check the wire at the themostate? Good luck,H
I mentioned that I had read about that online, but I noticed that the service manager's notes did not mention that (but he did capture down my description of the problem conscicely). I doubt any of the techs checked for that since it wasn't on the report. If the problem persists, I will have them focus on the thrermostat wire in the future.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

I tend to have this happen in the mid afternoon when I'm on my lunch break and head home. I don't typically use the a/c in the morning because it's cooler. I try to deal with just having the windows down, but that doesn't always work well with humidity getting the heat index up towards 95-100. This is usually the only times I use the a/c when I'm driving. I've had this so called re-calibration happen a couple ways. today it happened and the engine revved up and kicked up 3 or 4 bars of charge with 4 bars SoC remaining. Other times it's just straight dropped to 0 bars (yes, I've actually shown 0 before) and then it would kick up the RPM to charge the battery. It's always been with the a/c running for me, never had it occur otherwise. It has always been around town either just normal driving or stop n go. I take it as it comes and just push the RPM to about 2500 when accelerating at those times.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:48 PM

Wouldn't you know it--I had a crash on the way home from the office tonight.... I'm starting a log with the date, time and location of the event for tracking purposes.

Regarding the software upgrade, it seems like it has increased the assist affinity which is something I was worried about. It's really too early to tell though since I've only driven about 30 miles since picking the car up.

Edit: Driving to work, it happened again. To anyone else driving a 2006 who is having this problem: I would wait before getting any software updates until I've had a chance to drive some more. At first glance, that seems to have been a bad thing, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions yet.

Last edited by kristian; 07-31-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:38 PM

Better check that wire!!! H

Old 08-04-2008, 05:40 AM
Owner

I just noticed it this morning. Started it up and watched the battery level sink like a stone. I have an 06 with 24k miles. I'll be watching more closely because it's killing my MPGs!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 AM

A quick update: Since getting the software upgrades on 7/30/08, I've driven the car 6 days. During that time, I've experienced 5 recalibration events.

Prior to the upgrades, the events seemed to happen at random times, but now they are very predictable. I will go into a hill and it will keep the assist on between 1-4 bars no matter how hard I try to avoid it throughout the entire hill. Then, at the top of the hill, the battery will crash. The crash event itself seems to be "slower" than before, and unlike before, it doesn't always crash to one bar of SoC--twice it has crashed to two bars.

I am going to call the dealership back today and try to bring it in this week. The recalibration is now predictable enough that I think I can reproduce it with a tech in the car on a large hill near the dealership. I will keep updating this thread with the progress.

Quick Reply: Battery crash / no regen braking??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands