HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Battery won't charge

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Battery won't charge

My wife has been driving the HCH II for he past week. TOday I got it back and noticed the battery indicator won't go beyond halfway. The regen appears to work fine but the battery just won't charge. Additionally, it doesn't seem to drop fast either. The air wasn't on. Anybody had this?

Old 08-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery won't charge

That seems odd. I bet next time you drive it it will be fine...

Old 08-26-2006, 05:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I drove it for a couple of hours and the battery still didn't charge. When I asked my wife about it shenoted the same problem for the past several days but thought it was b/c she wasn't as skilled in driving a hybrid. Usually, she can keep the battery charged very high and I can almost always charge it fully in 20 minutes or less. It hasn't stranded me yet but I find it kind of strange. Perhaps something with the regen?

Old 08-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a HAH and I know I can charge the battery by reving engine up in park to about 2500 rpm and see the charge indicator start and then backing down to about 2000 rpm to keep it charging.

Yes, it wastes fuel, but it will charge. It takes about 3 mins to charge my hah battery fully. I do this about once a month at night before putting the car away in the garage. Then, I hope to still see a full charge on the battery pack in the am. So far, I do. Its an 05 with 11k miles.

Perhaps this can be tried on your Civic as well.

Good luck

Tony

Old 08-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by medicmike
I drove it for a couple of hours and the battery still didn't charge. When I asked my wife about it shenoted the same problem for the past several days but thought it was b/c she wasn't as skilled in driving a hybrid. Usually, she can keep the battery charged very high and I can almost always charge it fully in 20 minutes or less. It hasn't stranded me yet but I find it kind of strange. Perhaps something with the regen?
Mike, I sugest you contact the dealership about this issue. From reading your post I cannot say conclusively what the problem may be but as always they are some good bets that can be made.

So far I would say your problem could one of the following:

1- Bad or malfuctioning BCM module (in some cases the BCM may need to be updated or replaced. The OBD status should give the technician a good indication of this)
2- Poor connection or loose terminals at the BCM module (check PCM and MCM as well to be sure).

One other question though... does the IMA provide assist normally when accellerating from a stop?

Cheers;

MSantos