HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Best place to buy OEM parts online for HCH?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Best place to buy OEM parts online for HCH?

In addition to those places already suggested (which I'm going to browse later on for myself). You could also try these for price comparison purpose. I've ordered from both of them in the past with good results.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/
http://www.manchesterhonda.com/ap/

Old 04-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Estoril73
Anyone notice there are no parts listed for our Hybrids on this website? Why post it there if its unavailable for our cars??!??! Other than that, that dealer is great. I use to get all my parts from there too when I had the conventional civic motor
I also noticed that there were no parts listed when you select the '4DR HYBRID'. However, the hybrid parts are listed under '4DR MX'. I've ordered HCH II air filters and an undercover clip from them, both of which fit fine.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Hybrid-Hugger

Has anyone replaced their cabin filter with a higher quality (HEPA maybe) replacement. I see Honda lists there's for over $50- that is a complete joke- it isn't HEPA and it does a poor job of stopping dust (My old Aztek had a better filtration system, My dash would stay dust free for weeks).
I would like to find a HEPA style one.
Thanks
J

Old 04-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JavaJ
Has anyone replaced their cabin filter with a higher quality (HEPA maybe) replacement. I see Honda lists there's for over $50- that is a complete joke- it isn't HEPA and it does a poor job of stopping dust (My old Aztek had a better filtration system, My dash would stay dust free for weeks).
I would like to find a HEPA style one.
Thanks
J
A very detailed discussion from our Prius friends.

the filter is absolutely *NOT* a HEPA filter.. In fact, no cabin filters for *any* make of vehicle are HEPA.. The small size of the filter, the high air flow requirements and the extremely variable air quality (especially since vehicle interior ventilation systems don't normally have a pre-filter) make a true HEPA filter unsuitable for the application.. They may be labeled as "High efficiency" or "High efficiency particulate" (I've just finished some equipment filtration specifications at work and common HVAC industry use of these terms means a filtration of 90% or better at a certain particle size (typically 2 microns), which is a typical "good" filter for most HVAC applications), but that does *not* make them HEPA (guaranteed 99.97% at 0.3 micron)- that last "A" in the acronym makes a huge difference in the actual filtration level!! Filter manufacturers will claim all sorts of efficiency numbers and acronyms, but they are all very careful not to claim "HEPA" when they are not, as they must be *certified* to bear the HEPA label.

A true HEPA filter of the small size in the Prius would clog up in just a few days of typical outdoor city air, and would introduce a significant amount of flow restriction even when brand-new and clean.. Other signs that this is NOT a HEPA filter include the fact that there are no polymer seals around the filter element or the filter tray- the seals are a requirement for true HEPA rating as just the small amount of air making it around filter at the edges would cause it to fail to meet HEPA filtration requirements; additionally, if you hold the OEM element up to the light, there are visible paths through to the other side- they're small to be sure, but on a true HEPA filter, the media is much thicker and the holes are so small that you can never directly see the light source..

The filter is simply a miniature high-efficiency filter of similar material to the better grade of household furnace filters.. I estimate that the filter is the equivalent of somewhere in the range of ASHRAE MERV 8-10.. I tried a piece of the high-end 3M Filtrete MERV 14 filter in my Prius and the restriction caused by the filter was much too high- the ventilation system sounded like a vacuum with a plugged hose (yet another reason why the OEM filter cannot possibly be a HEPA- if a MERV 14, which is very good, but still a lower filtration than HEPA is restrictive enough that it won't work in the car, there's no way that a true HEPA, with an even higher restriction level, would).. I went down to a MERV 10-11 filter with an activate charcoal layer to reduce odors which sounds close to the OEM filter when new but you can definitely hear the fans start to labor when the filter starts to get clogged, which supports my estimate of an equivalent MERV 8-10 rating on the OEM filter.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Hybrid-Hugger

Wow- now that guy knows what he is talking about. Still, my old Aztek filtered much better than the Civic, so I guess the question is, can the we get a Micron air filter (which I assume has the charcol embedded as well) instead of the standard paper filter. Maybe I will suplement the normal filter as I have read with a charcol pad (but heading the advice of the above poster- I don't want to over work the air pump).

Thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I buy from Berardi in Natick, MA. I just got air filters from MA to Chicago on Friday when I ordered on Tueday night. Prices were good and shipping wasn't outrageous. I suggest ordering multiples from wherever you decide to go, though, to maximize the benefit of the shipping charge.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Enthusiast

Reviving an old post to agree with checking out Bernardi Honda's site.

I recently started going to Bernardi for some of my OEM parts and have been very pleased with them.

Be sure to take a look in the area marked "Clearance" too. I got 12 oil Honda oil filters for about $5 each after shipping and if you don't mind a few fingerprints, you can get a service manual for about $35.

*I don't work for Bernardi

Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Rookie Enthusiast

I've also been very pleased with Bernardi-- I buy replacement OEM filters from them each year. They've always been 100% reliable in shipping, quality, etc.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/

If you sign up for their email notifications, they also have periodic sales on Honda OEM items.

Philip