HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Brake light comes on after car is parked.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Brake light comes on after car is parked.

Hello Everyone,

I purchased an 07 HCH II with 30k miles about 2 months ago.
After two weeks, I got IMA and check engine light. I took it to the dealer and they took care of the problem by applying the recall software update. At the same time, they went ahead and did the Brake Switch recall. I drove it for a week and about 400 miles. Then one day i noticed my battery was dead and car would not start from overnight parking. I was positive I didn't leave anything on. I tried jump starting but nothing would light up except brake lights. I had a hunch a fuse was blown, and after towing it to the dealer. They said everything was fine and it was just a blown fuse and dead battery.
Both parts were replaced and it's been 3 days. Later this day, a friend noticed my brake lights on again. Which leads me to believe a switch or connection is being triggered. If i reach inside the car and pull on the brake, instead of pressing them down, then they normally come off.

I am getting to the point of going back to the dealer for a 3rd time and paying out of pocket for $109 an hour of diagnostics that I think perhaps I can look at myself or that should be covered if it has anything to do with the switch recall.

Sorry, if my post sounds like venting, but I just want to point out all detail, for anyone in the future as reference or perhaps someone can share a similar experience that may lead to a solution.

This car was amazing when it worked right. Now i get calibrations every hill i climb and never any IMA lights or CEL.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake light comes on after car is parked.

if you bought the car from a Honda dealer, they should get this straighten out..

Old 01-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast

Over here when buying a used Honda from a Honda dealer it comes with a 12 month Honda warranty,may just be switch sticking..........

Old 01-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast

I bought the car from a private dealer.
I figured my worries would be mainly IMA related. Once i found out i was 8year/80,000 covered. I pulled the trigger due to price.

I checked out the car today and I believe Paul.r is right. The switch is just sticking.
Which leads me to that I would have never had to buy a new battery in the first place. I don't know if brake switch falls under electrical (3year/36k) or if this would still be covered since this was basically their fault. They performed the brake switch recall and that lead to either a faulty component, or bad technician install.

This could all be a simple modification that I may be able to do myself, and avoid the time/travel expenses. I am searching for civic hybrid repair manual.

Now I wish I could figure out why i get so many calibrations, and my state of charge will never go under 5 or it will recalibrate. Still getting near 40mpg city though, so i can live with it.

I will follow up with end result for reference.
I appreciate any responses and Thank you for input.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Think green.

In the "Market" section, there's someone who will sell the repair manual for just the price of shipping:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-manual-25064/

Old 01-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast

You have already answered your problem. I hope you took that car back to the switch installation garage and have them fix it right, if that was the honda dealer from the second trip that you were charged, Shame on them and you for not holding them to repair the issue.