HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Braking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.
Default Re: Braking Noise

I may have had my local Honda Dealership find the problem. I got them to duplicate the farting noise again during my 30,000 mile service. They ordered the following part "SERVO SET SOP BOOSTER MASTER CYLINDER ASSEMBLY."

I will be having the defective part replaced this weekend, and I'll let you know if it finally does the trick.

I may be misreading the part order, but if I'm not, then the part costs $1940.02! I'll confirm this when I have the repair done.

If it were me, I'd take this information to your dealership pronto -- it's bad enough to have this embarrassing noise, but to pay $1940 out of pocket would be insane.

Aneil Mishra

Old 03-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Please keep us updated! I wonder if the part has been changed for the 2008 model year like the rear upper control arms, or if your dealership is wrong about it being defective. I think that it's very unlikely that we all have developed a problem, unless it is a factory defect.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Energy Independence

I'm betting it's another factory defect. I've got it. Someone (long ago now) had such a repair done (under warranty). I remember because the price was up there, like yours. I'd love to know that it fixed the problem. I thought that it did NOT fix the fating problem. So, give it time before declaring it "cured," and do report back to us.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Aneil Mishra, Ph.D.

Originally Posted by mishra
I may have had my local Honda Dealership find the problem. I got them to duplicate the farting noise again during my 30,000 mile service. They ordered the following part "SERVO SET SOP BOOSTER MASTER CYLINDER ASSEMBLY."

I will be having the defective part replaced this weekend, and I'll let you know if it finally does the trick.

I may be misreading the part order, but if I'm not, then the part costs $1940.02! I'll confirm this when I have the repair done.

If it were me, I'd take this information to your dealership pronto -- it's bad enough to have this embarrassing noise, but to pay $1940 out of pocket would be insane.

Aneil Mishra
I confirmed the part does cost $1940. They were supposed to fix it today, but they need to confirm with Honda Service HQ (or whatever they call it) to make sure they put it back together properly, as this is the first time they've had to do this repair. It will take most of one day to complete. I'll be taking it back next week to get the repair done, and will report a few weeks' hence to make sure the fix worked.

After getting defective wheel bearings replaced last year (see other posts), as much as I still love my Civic, I think Honda's got some work to do in the quality area. My previous Honda, an '89 Civic I bought new, ended having several thousand dollars of repairs done before I sold it nine years later (I think bearings were one of the repairs, and it definitely included having the A/C replaced. That was back when dealers installed the Honda factory A/C at the dealership as an option.)

Aneil Mishra

Old 03-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Hybrid Owner

Mine makes the fart noise maybe once every 2 weeks...it's a rare occasion, but it does happen. Other than the rudeness of the noise, did they tell you what the risk was in having it?

In other words, is it something we should be concerned about?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Enthusiast

ok boys and girls there are alot of posts here and frankly i dont feel like reading through them all.

here is a couple options for your service guys to look into

its entirely possible that the noise your hearing is coming from the strut top bearings and mounts. one way to see if this is your problem is to sit your car somewhere quiet...drive to a stop applying the brakes and leave the car in gear. when your stopped and in gear (hence producing a small amount of load) cycle the steering wheel back and forth lock to lock. if you hear any of the noise your describing tell the dealer you want the front strut assemblies replaced or at least the mounts and bearings. ive heard what i believe to be a similar sound a few times at work and struts have handled it.

i have seen several newer model hondas and acuras produce similar noises from the brake pedal assys. everything from tl's and tsx's to civics and accords from about 03 on up. the plunger that goes through the firewall from the brake pedal to the master has a rubber seal that keeps water from entering the cabin. i have found a few of them that were not properly lubricated from the factory that makes a squeeking or otherwise metal on rubber groaning type sound as you apply the brakes and the metal plunger rides across the rubber seal. also on the pivot point on the pedal side of that plunger there is a c shaped bracket with a pin that goes through the actuall pedal. there needs to be a good amount of silicon lubricant applies there or the retainer clip and pin make a squeek sound.

obviously i cant hear the exact sound your describing but i figured id throw these ideas out there. couple of things that honda has no tsb or service news about but i have figured out and repaired on my own. hope this post was helpfull

Old 03-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Hybrid Owner

Good ideas. On my car, the noise is coming from the drivers side somewhere near the firewall. Not to be juvenile, but it really does sound like a fart. The times my car has done it was when braking (mild) and turning (steering wheel is 30-45 degrees off center), say pulling into the driveway. There's also a slight tingle to the brake pedal when it happens...like the ABS has done one very quick cycle.

It's done it maybe 6 times in the 3 months I've had the car.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for the info tony. I will do some experimenting. As my car gets older, this happens more and more.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Hybrid Owner

My car farted all day long today. Almost every brake application. It was always followed by the whirrrrr noise when regeneration begins.