HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Building a grid charger to try to save a battery, have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Building a grid charger to try to save a battery, have some questions.

Solved, I decided to just spend $200 on one from eBay.

Last edited by dlstech; 10-21-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Building a grid charger to try to save a battery, have some questions.

Wow. I've never seen myself quoted so specifically.

Unfortunately, this absolutely, positively won't fix the battery. it will just mask the problem so you can pass it off to some unsuspecting sod back to where you are in 3-6 months at best.

You're not selling a car, you're selling a problem with a major system failure. I'm not interested in helping you scr3w somebody.

Knowing what you know, what would you PAY for this car? That's the ethical sale price.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Building a grid charger to try to save a battery, have some questions.

So you think this battery is too far gone? I've read about people bringing worse ones back from the dead with grid charging and discharging.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes.

When honda batteries fail, they are done. They can be nursed along for years in some cases, but not without routine grid charging and discharging. You own a car with the 2nd worst hybrid battery ever made with very high replacement rates. Worst is the 09-11 HCH2.

I have owned 2X 06 HCH2 and 15 batteries. Out of the 15 batteries, I was able to build 3. One good, one "meh" and one that needed regular grid charging.

Unfortunately, Honda batteries are mostly garbage. That's why the prius quit using the "D" cells between the Japanese and U.S. versions. Honda made it much worse with the redesign of the 06 where they removed the airflow baffles and staggered the cells creating so many hot spots. They also placed higher demands (20 hp IMA vs. 13.4 in HCH1) on lower capacity cells and used too wide of an operational range (20-80% SoC) - this causes the weaker cells to be repeatedly shoved to 0% SoC and hastens their demise. honda has been sued for pretty much every model of hybrid they have made - due to battery performance.

The only one they didn't get sued on was the 09-11 - because they extended the warranty in ALL states to 10yr/150K miles.