HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Building a HCHII grid charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Building a HCHII grid charger

After reading lots on diodes I see that a the 1N5822 is rated for 3A continuous, I did a test yesterday with it using a decent size DC motor and applying a load the diode did not heat up. So I think it's a safe bet. I'll do a test with the in car fan connected before closing everything up.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yep. That would do it.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:16 AM
Enthusiast

So another thing I'm questioning myself on is the ground wire for the 200v & 12v. Since I wired in the volt/amp display the ground for both are common. This is because the display has an internal ground link of its power and sense inputs.

I'm not sure what the risk is here... I could still add a separate dc supply for the display, just wonder what could go wrong with both the display and fan(12v circuit) having common ground with the 200v?

Old 01-16-2019, 05:46 AM

The configuration you describe is pretty common. Should be fine. Just make sure the charger housing isn't part of the ground.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:03 AM
Enthusiast

Ahh, thanks for the info, I've confirmed the psu case and compete charger case are not part of the 12/200v rails, just the ac220v earth.
So just waiting for an opportunity to open the car again to hookup the harness.

I'll report back once it's in and tested.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:34 AM

How did you get 200V out of those 2X 90V supplies? Where they that inaccurate?

I've purchased a similar version of one of those signal generators (came up along with the unit you purchased):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283294001111

Single channel only, screw down terminals and cut out mounting... more because it ships from a vendor in the states, but I'm okay with that...

Old 01-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast

Yea those supplies where not accurate. At least they are 1-2v within each other. Maybe under load they may drop voltage, do you have any suggestions for a test load?

I'm guessing any incandescent bulbs would be too much? Maybe not...(BTW 220vac here)

Really nice display you got, great for a professional looking charger!

Old 01-16-2019, 12:38 PM

Pretty impressive they're that far off. You sure your meter is accurate?

Incandescent bulbs have lower resistance when they aren't white hot, and it varies with voltage, so it might work, but I don't know if it will allow you to verify peak voltage (probably not)... just whatever voltage the current/resistance combo permits.

You'll find out when the pack peaks. Since you're also wired to monitor current, you'll know your max current when you first start charging. Hopefully, that will stay the same/near same until at least 195V. If they are actually only 90V, you'll never get the battery fully charged at 180V because the current will eventually slow to zero as the voltage maxes out the power supplies.

Last edited by S Keith; 01-16-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

I've checked with three multimeters and the display. So certain of the voltage. I'll wire up a discharge cable and bulb socket tomorrow, will at least let me try the supplies against a bulb to see how they behave connected to a load.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

Tested the charger with a 40w bulb
​​​​​​

The cold resistance of the bulb is 153Ohms
Measured voltage after the bulb is 84.29v
Current measured was 100mA

Not sure what to make if the results, but at least the meter seems to be working.

Quick Reply: Building a HCHII grid charger

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands