HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Can Hybrid Cars Oil Change at longer intervals?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:29 AM
Enthusiast
Default Can Hybrid Cars Oil Change at longer intervals?

I notice the hybrid runs at lower rpm due to good torque. And the ICE stops when car is stationary. Am I right to say that the hybrid engine should be less dirty than non hybrid?

dealer here recommend oil change at every 10k km ( 6000 miles ). Just wonder if local dealer is trying to profit from it.

I am using MOBIL 5W - 30.

Last edited by 2008 Honda CIvic Hybrid; 02-27-2008 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can Hybrid Cars Oil Change at longer intervals?

I have 5100 miles on my car today, I purchased my car in September of 2007. My oil meter life is at 20%. I would say 6000 miles might be right.

I really depends on your oil life meter. Change the oil once it get down to below 10% or until the maintenance minder light comes on.

Most cars today are able to go longer distances between oil changes. My Mercedes-Benz had a 7 qt tank and oil changes were every 12k miles.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Your HCH calculates when it's due for an oil change, by keeping track of total RPMs. Drive it hard, change oil sooner. Drive it like grandma, change oil later.

Why try to second-guess it? Change the oil when the readout goes to 5%, and use Mobil 1.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:00 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by 2008 Honda CIvic Hybrid

dealer here recommend oil change at every 10k km ( 6000 miles ). Just wonder if local dealer is trying to profit from it.

I am using MOBIL 5W - 30.
OUCH !!!

I am very weary of your dealer. They should not recommend an oil change period at all simply because that is not what Honda recommends for the HCH-2.

If your dealer is keeping up with the training (as they should) their recommendation should be:
"Follow your vehicle's maintenance minder or change the oil once every year".

That's it. Any other recommendation and it is a dead give away that something is wrong with the dealer.

5W30 is not the ideal oil weight for the HCH-2. At best it should be regarded as a "temporary" substitute in case the recommended oil (0W20) is not available.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default I change my oil every 10K miles

I change the oil on my HCHII every 9000-10K miles whether it needs it or not. I also have the oil analyzed by a lab every change, and this interval is just fine. I use Mobil 1 0-20 and change the filter as well.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

O.E., Old school! Your wasting! and filling our land fills? H

Old 02-27-2008, 09:10 AM

Actually, if you are taking your oil to be recycled, it will not end up in a landfill. It should get recycled into other lubricating oils. According to http://www.recycleoil.org/ and http://www.deq.louisiana.gov/portal/...7/Default.aspx and http://www.oilrecycling.gov.au/what-happens.html to name a few reference website.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I am more concerned about filters, I know oil is recycled, but still why change when its not required? Are the oil company's not doing well enough!!! H

Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I recycle everything from an oil change, filter, oil, and the packaging both came in.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:37 PM

Filters can be cleaned and recycled into other products. (Diecast Hotwheel cars) come to mind!

Quick Reply: Can Hybrid Cars Oil Change at longer intervals?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands