HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Can Hybrid Cars Oil Change at longer intervals?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can Hybrid Cars Oil Change at longer intervals?

It really sucks that Honda doesn't standardize the plaform. Canadian version of the Civic has heated side mirrors and washer fluid monitor. The US version doesn't offer either..

It seems the one you have doesn't have basic maintenance reminders... (@ 2008 Honda CIvic Hybrid)

There could be many other options we are missing or others are missing..

Old 02-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

The maintenance minders are available in all US and Canadian HCH's.

However, they are not always available in JDM HCH models shipped to other parts of the world.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-28-2008, 06:08 AM

The other thing is that the OIL LIFE display may not appear until you have cycled through the series of displays at least twice. It is a low-priority item while early in the oil's life. At least I wouldn't be surprised, because that's the kind of behaviour I saw on my previous car that had similar technology.

Here's where I'm currently at: My HCH-II is just over 11,000km (6,835 miles) and the oil life is estimating 10% (which is less than 10% in reality, according to the manual). I'm a moderate-to-gentle driver (depending on traffic), with about 70% city driving. This means that I'll be due for an oil change at approximately 12,000km (7,456 miles).

But you hear of other cars, including Civics -- but excluding the Si -- doing as well. So, no, I don't believe that this being a hybrid is necessarily extending the life of the oil. Sure, the CVT helps keep the RPMs down, but many other cars can cruise at similar levels.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

The oil doesn't really get contaminated very much in hybrid vehicles simply because they burn so cleanly and efficiently; the issue with the oil life in our cars I think is viscosity changes.
As the oil ages and is cycled between hot and cold; the longer chain molecules which makes the oil "thick" break apart; this makes the oil runnier as it gets old so it is less effective. You could run a much thicker oil and use it for a long time as even when it ages it still has adequate viscosity to do its job; however this would affect gas mileage and emissions (the car would take longer to warm).

Old 02-28-2008, 06:16 PM

Chris(CA), my car already takes forever to warm up... I can't see how using normal oil would make it take longer to warm up.....

Half the reason for getting bad mpgs in the winter months is due to wearing MORE layers of clothing....

(I have been on the search for a small 12V electrical heater but cannot find a good one that is safe to operate in the car... )

Old 02-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by spinner
But you hear of other cars, including Civics -- but excluding the Si -- doing as well. So, no, I don't believe that this being a hybrid is necessarily extending the life of the oil. Sure, the CVT helps keep the RPMs down, but many other cars can cruise at similar levels.
Good point spinner;

However, the design and manufacturing processes for the HCH-2 engine have many differences worth mentioning when compared to other Civics with gas power train options.

As it was designed, the 3 stage 1.3L engine on HCH-II is one of the lowest friction engines in the world and that alone has a direct empirical inference on the wear characteristics of the moving parts. The lower tolerances in addition to the special design, manufacturing techniques and materials not only help decrease the the nominal friction but ultimately increase the life of the oil.

Also, one other thing that many of us ignore is that being a hybrid helps a great deal as well. The electric motor has an attenuating effect on the generation of torque that cannot be ignored. It simply helps smooth out and even subdue vibrations that result from the normal operation of the inline 4 cylinder gas engine... thus once again helping to minimizing wear.
In addition to this effect, the provisioning of ample torque at low RPM almost guarantees that the engine will not need to rev much higher in order to get the torque it needs to accelerate. In other words, less RPM means less mechanical stress and all this is good and helpful in the grander scheme of things and specially the oil life.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 03-13-2008, 07:09 AM

I have about 37,000 miles and I just did my 4th service. Therefore, I am going about 9 - 10k miles before the maintenance minder tells me to do anything.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:54 PM

Makes me wonder if climate is also a factor to oil change intervals. I just got my first oil change done at 11,503km (7,148 miles). Toronto is colder, on average, than Phoenix.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I managed to get 14,750 K's with 5% showing. H

Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think climate can be a factor, because the MM system goes by RPMs, which tend to stay higher at lower temps.

Quick Reply: Can Hybrid Cars Oil Change at longer intervals?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands