HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Can Hybrid Cars Oil Change at longer intervals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can Hybrid Cars Oil Change at longer intervals?

Regarding recycling of oil filters, mentioned several times in this thread:

Honda's specification for Service A is to change the oil only. Service B, which alternates with Service A, does spec. oil filter change. I think most DIY'rs, and dealerships replace the oil filter at every oil change, contrary to the Honda instruction. Just following the oil filter change at alternate oil changes recomendation cuts the oil filter consumption in half.

Harold has a good idea for those concerned with the cup or so of dirty oil remaining in the filter: he removes, drains and re-installs the oil filter at service A.

As far as I know, oil filters "progressed" from being a pleated paper element in a permanent steel cylinder, to the current completely disposable filter. I've seen a few offerings on the net for the old fashioned filter type, where only the actual filter element is swapped out, but they are prohibitively expensive.

Also, it would be interesting to know what's involved in recycling an oil filter. I'd speculate in some instances the "recycled" oil filter ends up in a landfill. Hopefully I'm too cynical.

I've heard a radio program where a bonafide recycler discusses the problems of separating the oil from spent oil bottles and oil filters. The process involves shredding, steam and centrifuges. The disposable oil filter is by far the most difficult item to deal with.

This seems an area of automotive technology where a small shift could make a big difference. I would really welcome an alternative to the current fully disposable oil filter: to a system requiring disassembly and replacement of filter element only, coupled with increased recycling depots for filters and spent oil bottles.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 04-28-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

I replace my oil filter every other oil change, but I remove it every oil change, and let the oil that is inside it drain out.

Where I live, San Jose Ca., we have a good recycle program for oil and the filters. The city garbage pickup provides jugs for the old oil and bags for the used filters. I simply put the items curbside with the other recycle items and they pick them up as part of the regular garbage pickup.

You can also drop off your oil at any car repair or auto parts store for recycle.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:00 PM

I appreciate there are recycling options, but it's the "shredding, steam and centrifuges" I'm thinking we could avoid, with a little shift in oil filter design. Not to mention recycling of steel that's still perfectly functional, well maybe if it's gauge was a bit heavier.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Arrow Re: I change my oil every 10K miles

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I also have the oil analyzed by a lab every change, and this interval is just fine.
A lab analysis at EVERY change? How much does that cost? Is there a benefit to continuing to perform new analyses once you've determined your optimal change interval?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Yes, I do an analysis for all my cars at every change. The tests only cost about $20, and has provided good empirical data on oil change intervals. Doing the tests every oil change can help identify trends before they become issues.