HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Car won't start

So I had my first real issue with my '06 HCH. Yesterday I arrived at a client early and turned the car to Acc and listened to the PCMCIA card with music. About 10 min later the Nav screen and Temp screen went blank and the sound stopped. When I tried to restart the car the dash illumination flickered and I could hear the starter making a clicking noise (the kind it makes when you have a dead battery).

About an hour later I started the car and it worked. I thought all was well. Another hour later as I was leaving, it would not start again. I jumped it from my co-worker's car. Check Engine Light was on for a day but my Mechanic said it will go out after a day of driving (it did).

I got home and put the car in Park and revved to about 1,800 RPM to charge the IMA battery to full capacity. I left it until today.

I left for a client and everything was fine. When I left 30 min after arriving at the client I was finishing my notes and had the radio on. After 10 min it shut off and the car wouldn't start. Argh. AAA had to bail me out this time.

I called the local dealer (Shadyside Honda in Pittsburgh, PA) and they fit me in just 2 hrs later and I am waiting for them to finish (thanks to them for the free wireless Internet also).

They said my 12v battery is bad. Really? Just 2-2.5 yrs old? who else has had their 12v battery die early? Anymore they generally last 4-6 yrs.

I just hit 58,000 miles in 26 months (2,230 mi / mo avg). Even made a 500-mile trip from Outer Banks, NC to home a few weeks back at 54 mpg too!

They said it is covered under warranty and are also correcting two earlier Safety Bulletins. Hopefully it will all be solved.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Car won't start

the same thin happened to mine today... I hope that's all it is! It's on it's way to Honda right now via AAA...

More later

Old 10-18-2008, 06:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Car won't start

vandyatc - i love the quote in your sig line! i got my brid 18 months ago, and people told me i was crazy and that it wasn't a good idea. Looks like I'll get the last laugh in the end!

I've also gotten solar panels on my roof...which I've sparked quite a bit of interest with also. If anyone is interested in seeing live production readouts:

http://home.comcast.net/~mripw/solar/

Not much of a webdesigner anymore, but the goal was just to get the info on the page initially!

Old 10-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

wick1ert, I would love to see pics of the solar panels on your roof...

jess

Old 10-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

jess, i can email them to you if you'd like, or anyone else interested in seeing the pictures for that matter. I haven't had a chance to get them onto the web page, but there are plans to get them on there. Anyone good at web design???

Old 10-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Of course, thank you.

Jess

Old 10-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the comment, and I too would be curious to see the solar ceiling!

Mine was just a bad battery (non-IMA) and it was replaced under warranty. No major harm. Just a pain in the rear.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Funny, I thought you meant that you put solar panels on the roof of your car, not your house. Very cool, nonetheless.

Thanks again,

Jess

Old 10-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jess
Funny, I thought you meant that you put solar panels on the roof of your car, not your house. Very cool, nonetheless.

Thanks again,

Jess
HA! Me too... That'll teach me to read more carefully.

Either way, good for you.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

My apologies for not being as clear as I could have been. I can definitely see how you could have thought I put solar on the roof of the car. This isn't a feasible idea due to really needing direct sunlight, and the output power of panels currently. Anyway, the solar is on the roof of my house (for those who may read this posting later).

Quick Reply: Car won't start

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands