HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Carbon Fiber Hood for the HCH-II

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb Carbon Fiber Hood for the HCH-II

I was wondering if it was possible to put a Carbon Fiber hood on my HCH-II to lighten my car and Boost fuel Economy. Any info or thought about this from anyone would be very helpfull Thanks A bunch,

John.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Carbon Fiber Hood for the HCH-II

most "carbon fiber" hoods are actually fiberglass with 1 layer of carbon for looks. They are relativly heavy. A real carbon fiber hood is very expensive and likely would cost more than all the gas you could ever save.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

The stock hood is plenty light. If you want the looks go for it, if you want to save weight ditch the spare tire and passenger seat. Thats a starts

Old 01-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

carbon fiber body parts are just for looks. they aren't as heavy as the part they replace,( i replaced the hood AND trunk of my hatchback celica) but it does nothing to gain mileage. in fact the effect is less noticeable than riding with an extra passenger! my hood was 25 lbs lighter and the trunk was 30 lbs lighter.

Name:  100_2014.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  134.3 KB

you could start throwing things overboard to lighten your load, but why?? its not worth it in my opinion.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Vegetarian

You won't save enough weight to make a difference in FE. Most CF hoods are wet carbon, they are cheaper, but not as light. From the Seibon FAQ:
With dry carbon, you get the most strength and save the most weight. The weaves and quality are more consistent, but they are generally 3 to 4 times more expensive than wet carbon. Wet carbon products are hand-laid, and are more prone to small defects like wavy weaves and tiny bubbles. They do not save as much weight as their dry carbon counterparts. But on the plus side, you get an incredible combination of visual attraction, weight-deduction, and most importantly, price. All products you see on our website are wet carbon. Wet carbon products are also the most popular and most commonly referred to as just " carbon fiber" .
I thought about getting one after my hood got a big dent in it, it would have been cheaper than what I ended up spending getting a new OEM hood and paint.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:11 AM
Enthusiast

You should also make sure you get a cf hood that has UV treated resin etc on it, or else you will end up with a very unattractive hood! Alot of people will simply paint the hood, but i saw you were looking not to have to paint it.
But make sure you do your research on CF, weave, and the process of how its formed. also you are going to want to find out if the hoods have pre-drilled holes for the washer fluids or not.
just afew things i picked up when i was doing CF stuff

Old 01-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Vegetarian

You also have to worry about hood pins. You don't want your hood flying up and smashing your windshield while driving.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

dont they sell different types of pins? some lock and some dont?