HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

To carpool or not to carpool?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default To carpool or not to carpool?

Just wondering how many of you guys carpool with your HCH. Before I got my HCH, I had a Ford Focus which got decent gas milage, and was in a carpool to say money on gas, and catch a quick nap to and from work. Many times I wanted to get out, due to other members being late in the morning, having to leaving work late and when everyone was ready, or running a quick errand on the way home or during lunch. I stayed only because I was afraid my car would not make the commute every day (~40 miles one way). Now with my HCH, I am getting far better mpg than my Focus and my fear of being stranded on the road is nil. I have started driving slower (60-65 mph) and using other techniques that I have found here (got to keep the A/C going though in this South Texas heat). And now I am wondering if I should stay or go. If I stay, my mpg will be lower due to added weight of the other carpoolers. Also, on my days to drive I would have to loan my car to the ones who do not bring their lunch to go into the nearby town to get something to eat or if they need to drive to another unit. So, they will not drive the same way I do (or at least learning to). Any inputs?

Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: To carpool or not to carpool?

Having different people driving your car (non-hybrid drivers) will greatly reduce your mpg. However, on the days that you do not have to use your car, you will save a lot of money on gas and help reduce traffic. Carpooling will definitely save you money, but if it means that you will be late to work it's really your call. If you put up with it in the past, it's probably not that bad so you should consider staying.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yea, depends on how much hassle you want to put up with? Only you can decide that one.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Getting better FE!

I carpool driving my HCHII. It's me and 2 other guys. One guy is huge (easily 6'3" 240 - he sits in the front seat!) and another guy who weighs about 150 lbs. I'm 190 lbs.

We drive from sea level over a mountain (Hwy 17, Santa Cruz mountains) that takes us 2000 feet up and then back down into Silicon Valley (San Jose area). Speed up the hill is usually about 55 mph. This of course causes the mpg to drop severely but I make it up mostly coasting down from the summit and then driving on flat freeway about 15 miles or so. We ride in the commuter lane and average 70 mph there.

I pretty consistently average 42 - 43 mph on a tank. Most of the miles are logged on this commute (which I do once a week, and then one day a week by myself). My mpg drops in around town driving.

The HCHII holds its own in this environment but revs as high as 4000 rpm at some points scaling the mountain. Handling is acceptable if not great. I feel safe and although would like to have more power, it works out fine.

One of the other drivers in the carpool has a Camry Hybrid which is bigger, more powerful, and more comfortable, and only gets a few miles less mpg than the HCH II (he averages about 4 - 6 mpg lower than I). The Camry is a great car...unfortunately, it does not qualify for the HOV "sticker" in California so he can't drive it alone in the HOV lane. Only the Prius, HCH, and Insight qualify.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:51 AM
HypoFueler

You could drive the carpool and be the driver (almost) every day - but ask the riders to chip in $ for gas+wear/tear+insurance.

This may be a win-win as they are saving a bundle on gas.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:36 PM

but ask the riders to chip in $ for gas+wear/tear+insurance.

This may be a win-win as they are saving a bundle on gas.
That is why they take turns driving each other's cars. It all evens out.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:48 PM

It sounds like the other issues you have with your carpool (inconvenience, being late to work or needing to run errands etc.) are reasonably good reasons to leave the carpool if you think you can't handle it anymore now that your fear of being stuck by the side of the road is gone. The costs and benefits to you have shifted, but only you can say by how much.

It sounds to me like the other things you mention (being worried about the weight of the extra passengers and the effect on your FE of letting other people drive) are a bit less substantial. It isn't a competition- having good numbers to post here in the database or to report to friends don't mean you're really using less gas than you are if you're carpooling- miles per gallon per person would be a better figure for apples-to-apples comparisons, really. I can understand not wanting to let other people drive your new car, though- shiny new hybrids that are much loved by their drivers here can certainly spark possessiveness! and rightly so!

Just remember- if you're carpooling or buying a hybrid to save gas and for bigger picture conservation or environmental reasons, your carpool is more gas efficient and easier on your pocketbook than a solo drive, even in a hybrid. Whatever you decide for the future, though, you should be congratulated for taking both steps to cut down on your consumption; I wish I could carpool in my hybrid, but simply cannot, given my erratic work hours and lengthy commute.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've never heard of anyone being involved in a carpool where anyone drove the other person's car for any reason. Generally, it was considered good manners to have proper preparations for lunchtime if you weren't the one driving that day.

Of course, maybe it's different since I work in a complex-like environment with an onsite cafeteria.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would never let anyone else drive my car...Except a family member. Not only would they not drive it like I do (conservatively) there is a chance they could wreck it or dent it etc. If I mess my own car up, ok. If someone else messes my car up...

I agree with SpartyBrutus, before I even read his post I thought of the same thing! I would be the carpool driver everyday, and then just charge them $XX. Have $xx completely cover whatever gas will cost you (you can easily compute this) plus wear and tear, as Spartybrutus said, and then a small nominal "convinience" fee (they get to nap while you drive?). I bet you that they will still pay less than if each person took turns driving. They will be saving a ton over if they drove themselves.

The only problem is these lunch runs they would want to make in your car...I personally like bringing in lunch. Are these restraunts in biking distance? Perhaps you could make the lunch run for everyone (and collect a little compensation)?