HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Changing Spark Plugs In HCHII?

Old 10-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Changing Spark Plugs In HCHII?

I need help, i have changed all types of cars, but dont know where to start with my hchii. Also there being 8 Spark plugs, i dont want to mess this up. I searched and cannot find a diy or job diagram. Can anyone help?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Tight Wad
Default Re: Changing Spark Plugs In HCHII?

I'm looking for the same information tool.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

pop off the plastic engine cover and you can get to all the spark plugs. (you first pop off the connector and coil/boot, and then its just the deep spark plug socket (I forgot which size).

However - the 4 plugs in the back will require a 2 way 'swivel' extension AND a 2-3" socket extension to get the depth and clearance. Otherwise you have to remove the 'cowl'/wiper/cover.

Just remove and install one at a time so there's no chance of swapping cables or anything.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Tight Wad

Seems I've read somewhere that there are 8 plugs. Is this true?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes there are four in the front and four in the back. I forgot the reason they do this.

Just an FYI - I changed my plugs at 94k miles and they still looked good! So you really can probably wait until like 110k miles or so.

You can take one out just to get an idea

Old 10-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Tight Wad

I just sold my Ford F150 truck and it had 128k miles on it and the plugs still looked good too. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Most engines that have the "coil over" type of plugs don't need them changed unless you start to feel a miss. My F150 did develope a miss about a year ago and it was a bad coil that probably got wet. Because they were already there they changed that one spark plug and the coil and boot.

Question: I'm assuming that these Hondas are coil over, so is it very tricky to get the coil, boot etc. off before you get to the plug? Should I purchase all new boots in case they get damaged from removal?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast

My daughter bought a used Honda Pilot with 110,000 miles that had never had the plugs changed.

I changed them but they looked almost new.

I also changed the plugs on my 2002 Maxima at 47,000 miles due to mileage deterioration. They looked OK also. Turned out my mileage deterioration was probably due to ethanol.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

When I changed them, the boots came up without issue, no tricks at all. I added dielectric grease when I re-installed. (and anti-seize on the SP threads). I may never have to change these again. its too bad this vehicle will rust out (in NE snowbelt) before the engine and drive train ever has issues

Old 10-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Tight Wad

Thanks Hunter. Yea, too bad about the salt roads in the NE parts of the states. I'm glad I don't live there.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

How tight should you make them?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing Spark Plugs In HCHII?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands