HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Changing spark plugs when?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Changing spark plugs when?

Should I buy the STP Super Concentrated Fuel Injector Cleaner, 5.25 fl. oz. or the Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner, 12 oz ?

Old 01-16-2019, 08:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Don't really care. I like the sound of "super concentrated," but that's probably just me being susceptible to marketing... Probably whichever one sounds more concentrated-y, i.e., which one treats more gallons of fuel with less fluid oz.

Personally, I'm good with the $2 Walmart one...

Old 01-16-2019, 07:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Today, I bought the "super concentrated" at Walmart, then I went to the Honda dealer to flush the CVT fluid for $120.
At the end, the Honda adviser told me that the splash shield is damaged and that there is a severe engine oil leak. He told me that the diagnostic costs $90 and that it would be refunded if they do the repair.
It is strange because yesterday, the non-Honda garage tied the splash shield and the mechanic didn't notice an oil leak when he did that. The day before, at the same non Honda garage, they replaced the spark plug and ignition coil.
Then, the Malfunction indicator lamp turned on again, and this time, the P0420 code is a current fault.
I'm planning to go to the non-Honda garage tomorrow and check if the Honda adviser is lying or no.
After that, I'm planning to add the injector cleaner, and then later, fill up with Chevron gas.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:40 PM

Sounds like a plan.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

The leak was linked to the gasket. 10 months ago, he replaced the gasket cover, so he didn't charge me this time to fix it.
Yesterday, I put the fuel injector cleaner, then I filled up with Chevron gas (regular price). The malfunction indicator lamp is still turned on. Should I wait or should disconnect the battery for 60 seconds?

Old 01-22-2019, 07:23 AM

It will likely stay on until you disconnect. Run through half the tank before resetting.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

The malfunction indicator lamp turned off by itself when there were only 5 cells left in the gas tank. My gas consumption was 38.2 mpg, which is much better than before. Thank you very much Keith, you' re the best for helping people here.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:22 PM

Don't be surprised if it comes back from time to time. This is likely confirmation that you do not have clogging or a broken cat.

Glad to hear things have improved!

Old 01-29-2019, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

It came back this morning, the lamp and the code P0420/ What should I do?

Old 01-29-2019, 10:52 AM

Continue to monitor performance. Continue to fuel with a top tier gas. If power and mpg are decent, you're likely not dealing with a clog.

You may be able to operate it that way indefinitely. If you have to pass emissions in your area, you can either replace the cat (actual fix) or try an anti-fouler plug, which moves the aft O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream and makes the light go out.

Quick Reply: Changing spark plugs when?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands