HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Changing spark plugs when?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Changing spark plugs when?

Thanks. The State of Florida abolished all vehicle emissions test requirements back in the 1990’s. I'm planning to sell my car next September.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Please look at the video of my muffler: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5zt3N14QgGEivswj8
My mother is accelerating at maximum in park position. The muffler is making a noise and moving. There is also a liquid coming out of it. Is it normal?
When driving, I never accelerate like that so I don't hear this noise. But I noticed a light noise from the back of my car recently.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by villemiami
Please look at the video of my muffler: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5zt3N14QgGEivswj8
My mother is accelerating at maximum in park position. The muffler is making a noise and moving. There is also a liquid coming out of it. Is it normal?
When driving, I never accelerate like that so I don't hear this noise. But I noticed a light noise from the back of my car recently.
I can't view the video at the moment due to restrictions on this computer.

1) Mufflers are hung with a rubber mount, so they should move - sometimes a lot.
2) Exhaust systems have heat shields along their length that can rattle or vibrate.
3) Gas is a hydrocarbon (chemical formula CnH(2n+2)) - composed primarily of molecules containing Carbon and Hydrogen atoms. When you burn them with Oxygen, you get compounds containing the same as the input... Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen. When fuel is clean and burning is perfect, you get only CO2 (carbon dioxide) and H2O (water vapor). When the exhaust system is cool/cold or has sat overnight, the water vapor can condense and drip out of the exhaust. Once the car and exhaust system is fully warmed up, the water vapor does not condense inside and only vapor exits the pipe.

You can often hold your hand in the exhaust stream and sense moisture condensing on your hand.

You may have noted that steam comes out of car exhaust in cold weather much like humans can see their breath on exhalation - that's the water vapor condensing in the air.

Gas tends to be a mix of the more complex hydrocarbons, so burning isn't perfect - we have catalytic converters to improve the quality of the exhaust (eliminate nitrous oxides and carbon monoxide).

Natural gas (Methane, CH4) and Propane (C3H8) are relatively "pure" hydrocarbon fuels that naturally burn much cleaner due to their more simple molecule and the fact that there is only one type of molecule present.

Nothing you describe seems out of the ordinary.

Tell Momma to ease up on the throttle!

Old 02-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Saw the video. Completely normal.

Generally, not a good idea to sit there and bounce the engine off the rev limiter.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

ok thanks

Old 02-11-2019, 08:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

The malfunction indicator lamp turned off today, and I cleared the P0420 fault.