HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Check Gas Cap

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 07:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Check Gas Cap

I'm getting a message "CHECK GAS CAP" that I can't get to go away. It's been on for two days, I've take the gas cap off and on several times and made it "click" when I put it on.

The manual says hold the RESET button until it goes away, but it won't?

Anybody know anything about this? Everything SEEMS fine except the message...

Old 08-30-2006, 07:19 AM
YA RLY.
Default Re: Check Gas Cap

I think you're supposed to turn the gas cap until it clicks 3 or 4 times.

Anyway, the message will persist for 10-20 starts. It's happened to me twice. I just reclose the gas cap and drive.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Unfortunately, this is a recurring problem for me and a couple of other members.

Check out this thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...hlight=gas+cap

The official treatment is to make sure the cap is on nice and tight and to continue driving the car normally. The message will go away after about 30-40 "ignition cycles."

The owner's manual is inaccruate. You don't push and hold the Sel/Reset button to make the message go away; you press the button repeatedly to cycle through the display modes, one of which is the "Check Fuel Cap" message. Unfortunately you have to press Sel/Reset to get rid of the message every time you start the car until it goes away for good.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonmatt4nr
Unfortunately, this is a recurring problem for me and a couple of other members.

Check out this thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...hlight=gas+cap

The official treatment is to make sure the cap is on nice and tight and to continue driving the car normally. The message will go away after about 30-40 "ignition cycles."

The owner's manual is inaccruate. You don't push and hold the Sel/Reset button to make the message go away; you press the button repeatedly to cycle through the display modes, one of which is the "Check Fuel Cap" message. Unfortunately you have to press Sel/Reset to get rid of the message every time you start the car until it goes away for good.
Absolutely correct. I just went through this problem about a month ago.

The only point that I would differ with is that this problem is caused because of the failure to tighten the gas cap properly. If there is one thing that I have always done on any car that I have owned is to make sure that the gas cap is tight. I usually go 5 to 10 clicks. I just think that something else is causing the message. I think this is why the owner's manual solution is inaccurate.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the outside temperature. When my problem started, the outdoor temperature where 80 degrees and more.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

I live in South Florida and the temperature is always above 80, and I have only had the message once (took a couple of weeks until it stopped displaying).

I think it is a software glitch...

Old 08-31-2006, 06:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PA Runner
I wonder if it has anything to do with the outside temperature. When my problem started, the outdoor temperature where 80 degrees and more.
There is some debate over this issue. However, I would tend to agree with you. It was a hot 95 degrees on both days when the message appeared. Perhaps this is not a problem in all cars, which is why some users in Florida and other states are (almost) immune. Heat does seem to be a factor though.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Bleah, I always click the thing 5 times after filling up and I just got this message this morning when it was 33F outside! I'm around 2900 miles, pretty close to when another poster started seeing this. I'm hoping since this thread has been so old that it goes away eventually and no one has really gotten the MIL light as mentioned in the other thread.

Okay to be clear I just have to cycle it away and eventually it'll just go away right? Don't have have to do a special clear this message routine every day til it goes away?

Old 02-05-2007, 07:30 AM
HDH
Enthusiast

I am having this problem- only 750 miles on the car. I am in Colorado and its been very cold here so I am not sure if temperature is an issue. We have had snow every week since I picked up the car a few weeks ago...

Old 02-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well it went away on its own after just 3 or 4 days so I guess it's not that bad. Didn't have to do anything special (other than unscrewing the gas cap and re-screwing it back on *really good* after I got the message). Could be a humidity thing, when it popped on it was sleeting. When it went away it was a crisp dry day.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think owner's manual says 3 clicks.

Quick Reply: Check Gas Cap

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands