HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Cigarette lighter socket not working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cigarette lighter socket not working?

Are replacement fuses found in places like Target or do I need to go to an auto parts store like Kragen or Napa?
I know that they will have them at Pep Boys, Kragen, Napa, etc. They didn't come up at target.com, but you never know. If there is an auto parts store nearby, I would just go there.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Also, I was thinking that it may not be a problem with your car, but rather a problem with the charger. Do you have anything else you could try to plug into the sockets?
This is a possibility. The chargers have fuses in them as well. I had a phone charger once that would blow its fuse if I plugged it in shortly after unplugging it.

If you don't have anything else to test in the socket, can you test the charger in another vehicle?

Old 08-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you don't have anything else to test in the socket, can you test the charger in another vehicle?
Great idea Jeff!

If the fuses are in tact, I would give this a try.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Enthusiast

The power only works when the ignition switch is on / accessory. If they are trying to use power when the engine is off (no key in ignition) that could explain everything.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
I know that they will have them at Pep Boys, Kragen, Napa, etc. They didn't come up at target.com, but you never know. If there is an auto parts store nearby, I would just go there.
I checked both accessory fuses and they were blown so I replaced them. I was able to locate an assortment pack of replacement fuses at Kragen. Kind of annoying as they only had one of each in the pack and they only had one pack in stock. I checked at Napa and they were out so I still need one more 15amp fuse to replace the one I took from the spare fuse slot.

A question about the Nintendo car charger. Since it blew both fuses in both accessory sockets I am hesitant to test it again as I don't have any replacement fuses at the moment. Should I try using a higher rated fuse?

My kid said the car charger works fine in a late 90's Ford Explorer.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Enthusiast

My cigarette lighter died in my 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid. It's not the fuse. Does that mean it needs to be replaced? If so, is this a big job?

Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 AM
Enthusiast

My 2004 keeps blowing the fuse. So the socket is virtually useless as I cannot count on it. Any suggestions?