HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Class Action Law Suit

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Class Action Law Suit

I just bought a 2010 HCH and I'm averaging 45 mpg (2000 miles on the odo), acceleration isn't comparable to a sports car but it's a hybrid, I'm very happy with it.

Only complaint i have is the parking brake which rests on my leg and no distane to empty on display.

Last edited by condor63; 09-30-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The language of "flawed" and "faulty" control arms seems a little strong, at the least it does not apply universally: maybe there has been a bad batch, or it's the arms in concert with something else.

We have the original control arms, and absolutely no issues. Just getting around to replacing the OEM tires: they have been on for at least 75000 kms (snows on separate rims for maybe 10000 kms). They have around 4mm remaining tread depth, and very uniform wear.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

We purchased our 2007 civic right from the lot in March of 2007. Since then our car has ruined 12 tires, 8 of the OEM's and my set of winters. We had to purchase the winter tires because every time it snowed the car would not travel in a straight line.

It had the upper control arms replaced, removed (they reverted back to the A ones), now just recently replaced again (back to C). It's had at least 4 alignments from 3 different alignment shops. According to the alignment print out it's currently aligned right on the the specified numbers, but is still pulling to the right as it has since we purchased the car - although the rear end isn't jumping around like it did in the past every time we hit a bump.

I've called Honda Canada's "Customer Care" multiple times. Sometimes they return my calls, sometimes they say that they never got any messages. I've asked for the first line reps to pass me to their supervisor, they said it takes 24-48 hours for the case managers to call me. I called on Sept 8th. I reminded them on Sept 24th. Here it is October first and I have not received a call.

Honda Canada stated that they will not cover the cost of my tires. The dealer however has gone out of their way to help and have covered the OEM tires (except for the 1st set that I paid for pro-rated). Neither party will replace the winters. We bought the winters and they helped with snow, but they didn't help at all when there was black ice on the road. Try driving on the 401 30 km/h less then the rest of the traffic (due to the rear of the car swerving all over the place)

The first winter was a nightmare as we were unable to control the car over 60km/hr on snow covered roads, trying driving home from work with the hazard lights on after an unexpected snowfall. Every time we hit a bump the rear end of the car would jump right, pointing us towards oncoming traffic lane.

This is the first Honda I've purchased, in fact it's only the 2nd car I've purchased new, I usually buy used cars 2-3 years old.

I am amazed at the lack of respect from Honda Canada. They don't support their Dealers and they don't support me.

Last edited by Ontario07Civic; 10-01-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Arrow Re: Class Action Law Suit

Originally Posted by Ontario07Civic
We purchased our 2007 civic right from the lot in March of 2007. Since then our car has ruined 12 tires, 8 of the OEM's and my set of winters. We had to purchase the winter tires because every time it snowed the car would not travel in a straight line.
How many miles (kilometers) does you '07 have on it? When you say the car has ruined 12 tires, do you mean that you've used three front/rear sets? I'm trying to get a sense of how prematurely your tires might be wearing, with some additional specifics. Thanks.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

They were all rear tires, the fronts are fine (until they got rotated anyway). We have ~ 128,000 kms on the car. We first reported the problem at the first oil change. It's mostly the same problem, the insides of the rear tires wear unevenly. The garage referred to is as chopping or scalloping. The rears have been replaced 4 times, they refuse to replace my winter tires. They are all ruined due to rotating them. It's so bad that the rear view mirror kept vibrating off the window until they replaced some kind of spring in it.

So far they haven't been able to fix the problem. I've been willing to work with them, haven't raised a ruckus, but they just can't fix it. Over the years we've had the same annoyances as everyone else, the rear spoiler, the brake farts (though this one fixed itself over time, I can't remember the last time I've heard it). We've had the rotation sensor go (I can't recall the correct name of this one), the front windows jumping off the tracks. The passenger side plastic piece that keeps popping up. These were mostlly all fixed in short order. I wish they could get the rear suspension problem fixed.

I like the car, it gives me something to do while driving, you know, playing the beat my last score driving. This tire thing has taken all the fun out of it, I haven't logged my mileage in a year and a half, the indicated mileage is no where near what it used to be, it currently reads 5.6 l/100 km, when we first got the car I was regularly below 4.8, 3.9 on one particular trip ~ 200km return.

This last rear set was ruined in one oil change interval. We put them on in April, when we got our fall service they were no longer round.

Oh well.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:23 AM

It had the upper control arms replaced, removed (they reverted back to the A ones), now just recently replaced again (back to C). It's had at least 4 alignments from 3 different alignment shops. According to the alignment print out it's currently aligned right on the the specified numbers, but is still pulling to the right as it has since we purchased the car - although the rear end isn't jumping around like it did in the past every time we hit a bump.
It sounds like there's more to it than the control arms, since you've gone from orig. to revised, to orig, and back to new again. Just curious, when you stand behind the car and look at it does appear to be "listing" to one side?

Ours looks to be lower on driver's side, but again: we've never had an issue with premature tire wear or vibration.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

No idea, the dealer has serviced the car since purchased. They are well aware of what the car does. I did suggest to them that they take it to a collision shop to see if it's square. I was told that the alignment shop would notice right away if it's anything like that.

I've emailed them plenty of internet links with suggestions like one side lower than the other or the other one with just bad rear design. Honda policy is that they ignore everything but the "Tech Line".

I'm just waiting for the old it's over the warranty sorry....line at the moment. Honda Canada tried that initially. My answer to that was that the problem was reported within the first 10,000 km of ownership, they just haven't fixed it yet.

Who knows it might be fixed now, we won't know until we get a look at the tires.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

I have the same issue with the control arms. My dealer says I have to pay for the new arms, even though the car is still under warranty. My rear tires are severely cupped and the car makes a horrible "roaring" noise going down the road. At least it used to...before I stopped driving it because the IMA/battery died and I had to park it because Honda wouldn't fix that under warranty either.

How about one of you Honda lovers out there that swears by this company buy my car? I'll give you an outstanding deal on it.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm a newbie here and have a 2004 HCH Manual that just turned over 85,000 miles. I bought the car in 2006 with 53,000 miles, from a local Honda Certified Used Car dealer. The car has seen mostly urban driving cycles the past 2 years, with the occasional bi-monthly highway trip. A/C does see seasonal use in May-Sept.

On a side note: I recently replaced the under-hood 12V battery (this was NOT really necessary, I just wanted the peace-of mind with winter fast approaching),

And as far as I know the IMA (144V) battery module has never been replaced. The car performs well and typically gets an indicated 38 - 42 mpg in city use and close to 50 mpg highway. (We do live at 5000 ft ASL, which reduces mileage and power.)

About a week ago the IMA and CHECK Engine lights came on. (P1600 and P1433). At the time they come on the SoC dropped from 75% to roughly half that. Throttle response becomes noticeably sluggish, but the REGen/ASSist meter still works. And the SoC gradually moves up and down. The most I have seen it come back to is about 67 % when the codes are thrown.

When I clear the codes, I observe the following: REGen/ASSist immediately at idle shows (GREEN) charge and the SoC rapidly comes up to 100% within a couple of minutes. When the car is driven, throttle response is crisp and instrumentation shows "like-new" REGen/ASSist and SoC behavior in urban driving.

Then, usually with a day or so (usually less than 20-miles) the same codes return (P1600/P1433).

To the best of knowledge, the ECM has NOT been re-flashed or "Upgraded" by Honda.

1) Is there a way to determine the ECM Version level?

2) If Honda flashes the ECM, will it potentially mask the P1433 code? Making them less likely to replace the IMA battery of DC-DC converter under warranty?

3) What is actually happening when the P1433 code is thrown? It seems to put the system into "LIMP" or "LAME" mode?

4) Does anyone have experience with Honda's Certified Used Car Warranty or Third-Party Warranties, with respect to IMA failures?

Any advice (or dare I say Insights?) would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast

Note: This Class Action Suit also includes HCH-I's provided you are the original owner, or purchase the vehicle new. Perhaps the moderator of this site can cross-post this into the HCH-I (specific) discussion area?

Quick Reply: Class Action Law Suit

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands