HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

clunking noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Learning the Hybrid ropes
Default clunking noise from front end

I have a 2008 Civic Hybrid and I have noticed a clunking noise from the front end. It happens after my car is sitting for a little while and I reverse out of a parking spot or the garage; when I hit the brakes to shift into D, clunk. Then I drive off and get it when I hit the brakes the first time after that also. It always happens in that order. I havent taken it in yet, but it is easily duplicated. The sound comes from what sounds low in the engine bay somewhere, almost directly underneath the car. Any ideas before I take it in? I havent done anything to the car except change the oil and drive it.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: clunking noise from front end

Funny you say this, my 09 does this too, has only 6k kms on it. Has done it since new so maybe just something with the vehicle, anybody else?
Same symptoms under same conditions

Old 08-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Does the clunk occur at the brake application, or during the shift of gears?

(I'm in the dark as to the cause, but maybe this would clarify for other responders)

I've had a constant clunk with brake application, with one honda, but that was a cracked disc brake rotor, don't think that's your issue.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Learning the Hybrid ropes

Yes, mine occurs when the brake pedal is depressed. The first one that happens when I press the brake and go from R to D is more pronounced than the second time I press the brake pedal. This only happens the first 2 times I hit the brakes after the car sits for a little bit. It has been happening for quite a while and I am just starting to pay attention to it. It sounds almost like something is resetting itself in the regen system, but I really dont know. I didnt have a chance to make it to Honda today.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've had other cars do this, too. It was the ABS system doing a self-diagnosis test. My HCHII has done this since new, and I just assumed it was doing the same thing.