HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

CVT drops to low RPM; and slightly shaky at low speed. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default CVT drops to low RPM; and slightly shaky at low speed. Normal?

Hey everyone!

First off:
2008 Civic Hybrid
69k miles

I've never had a car with a CVT before; but I'm driving myself crazy thinking I may need to replace mine soon.

Recently replaced my transmission motor mount (Thank you, S Keith!), and that smoothed things out a lot.

However, sometimes when coming to a stop, the car will drop to about 5-700 RPM like it drops before it hits Auto-Stop, then idle like normal at around 1k. I can feel it sort of chugging through the steering wheel, and the car feels like it's about to die.

Is low speed jerky behaviour normal in the CVT? Curious if I'm over reacting here or may actually have a problem. Likely going to try and replace the fluid this coming weekend, and possibly the spark plugs as well.

Any info would be appreciated, thank you!

Old 07-19-2016, 10:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CVT drops to low RPM; and slightly shaky at low speed. Normal?

Originally Posted by mulletman13
Hey everyone!

First off:
2008 Civic Hybrid
69k miles

I've never had a car with a CVT before; but I'm driving myself crazy thinking I may need to replace mine soon.

Recently replaced my transmission motor mount (Thank you, S Keith!), and that smoothed things out a lot.

However, sometimes when coming to a stop, the car will drop to about 5-700 RPM like it drops before it hits Auto-Stop, then idle like normal at around 1k. I can feel it sort of chugging through the steering wheel, and the car feels like it's about to die.

Is low speed jerky behaviour normal in the CVT? Curious if I'm over reacting here or may actually have a problem. Likely going to try and replace the fluid this coming weekend, and possibly the spark plugs as well.

Any info would be appreciated, thank you!
Both of mine do this randomly with A/C use. You might reset the 12V and do the start clutch calibration:

Disconnect 12V for 60 seconds, reconnect.

Start and idle car until fully warmed (fan comes on). If IMA system is charging, allow it to continue until it stops and at least 3 bars are visible.

Place in "D" and accelerate until 37 mph, release throttle and decel without pressing brake pedal for at least 5 seconds.