HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

CVT Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question CVT Reliability

Hello everyone,
I have a (hopefully) simple question; how reliable is the CVT in our 2006/2007 HCHIIs? Can it be said whether it is any less or more reliable than a standard Honda automatic or manual transmission? I hope to keep my car 250K+ miles, and I have read that CVTs in the HCHIs are failing around 100K miles.

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: CVT Reliability

Hi Pagemap;

The issues that you have certainly heard relate mostly to the earlier generation Honda CVT's typically found on the 2003-2005 civic hybrids. But even those issues are not necessarily of the CVT's fault entirely. You see, the earlier CVT's needed a more aggressive service routine than what Honda had originally envisioned.

Now fast forward to the 2006-2009 model: You have a CVT that was greatly improved in design and materials over the earlier versions - even some of the components were manufactured by Honda in-house (the belt itself is such a component).
In addition to that, the servicing requirements are somewhat more realistic and you have a transmission that is likely to be at least as good as the best 5 speed autos available today.
As always, the primary key to a trouble free HCH-2 CVT is to keep the HATF fluid fresh and replaced regularly without skipping a beat.

In any case, I am so sure about the CVT's long life potential that like some here, I bought not just a 2006, but earlier this year bought a 2007 as well.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 09-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

MSantos, thanks for the information.

I'm not sure what HATF fluid is, is this something that the dealer will check regularly, or should I make it a point to have them check this every time I bring the car in for service (oil change, etc). How often should it be replaced?

TIA!

Old 09-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Yes, the dealer should be keenly aware of the Honda CVT fluid type and its service requirements. You should also be able to find the CVT regular service details on the service and user's manual booklet that came with your vehicle.

The HATF fluid is specifically formulated for the HCH-II CVT and should not be replaced with anything else.

MSantos