HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

CVT wear question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question CVT wear question

I live in Minnesota, and even with a block heater it seems my transmission is slow to respond after sitting overnight. For instance when backing out of my garage in the morning, I'll put the car in Reverse, and then sit there not applying any pressure to the gas pedal, sometimes it will take upwards of 30 seconds before the car begins to move backwards.

When I shift into Drive, it will sometimes take a few seconds before the CVT makes the gear change, likely due to the cold transmission fluid.

Does shifting in cold weather cause extra wear to the CVT, or I am I worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CVT wear question

Brian:
A BH will not warm your CVT! This is normal in colder climate. Nothing to worry about. I normally just wait for it , then go. After driving a short distance everything is back to norm. Hal

Old 03-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

I know the BH won't warm my CVT, which is why I am asking if shifting a cold CVT causes a lot of extra wear. I wish they made a CVT heater too .

Old 03-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

just give the CVT time and drive it nice until the engine warms up. The CVT will get warm fast since it is connected to the engine block.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It probably wouldn't be too difficult to make a heater for the CVT. Dip stick heater might work. May be a market for it? Hal