HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Daylight Savings Time Changed correctly? NOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Daylight Savings Time Changed correctly? NOT

I got a new 2007 HCH II just a few days ago and surprisingly this issue was actually addressed in the owner's manual. It basically said the same thing that the above email from the service manager said: in 2007, turn off auto-DST and set the time manually. So apparently (and not surprisingly) it's easier for them to print new owner's manuals than to update the software.

Also it specifically says that GPS is no help here. The only thing GPS can do is automatically figure out which timezone you're in, e.g. if you're driving across country. Presumably this is not because of the satellite signal, but because of the fact that it has its own map and knows where you are on it. You can turn off auto-timezone determination if you live near the border of a timezone and find that it changes incorrectly too often.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tanstaafl14
IMO this early DST switch is total buffoonery. If you agree, contact your state legislators and recommend they exempt your state from DST starting next year unless Congress restores the old dates. (I'm old enough to remember when DST started on the last Sunday in April.) Arizona & Hawaii (and most of Indiana, IIRC) get along fine on year-round standard time; so can the rest of us, especially in the South.

If anything we should be on DST year round. Especially in the NE where it matters more... and for those of us living on the east coast and eastern part of the time zone. The extra light is great. For the rest, i don't care.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:50 AM

Why are are people confused on what GPS does? For time, all that you get is a GMT timecode from it. The software can figure from the position and timestamp which timezone you are in. It's up to the software to figure out when to apply DST or not. Every area can have a different DST mapping.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by irkedpenguin
I have no problem if there is DST or no DST, but if we have to patch every server and computer (about 8000, mix of unix, linux, and many versions of windows) again, I will hurt someone
Don't know what kind of "patch" would be needed for Linux or Unix machines, but it would have to be done just once, and never again. As for Windows machines, simply go to "Date/Time Properties" and uncheck the "Automatically adjust clock for daylight savings changes" box. No patch needed.

My best college-era friend lives in Arizona, and she assures me that life without DST is just fine, thank you. Nor did anyone in Hawaii or the Caribbean seem bothered by it when I visited those places.

On my Win98 PC, I manually changed the time, then changed the time zone to GMT - 4. This was necessary as MS no longer supports this OS. Will change back to EDT next month. By autumn, I'll have built my new Vista PC.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Personally I like the new time change. Stays lighter long in the evening which is more of a benefit than in the am.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:24 AM

AZ is in middle of time zone and is south... therefore no need for DST.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by tanstaafl14
On my Win98 PC, I manually changed the time, then changed the time zone to GMT - 4.
Be aware that this can mess up other things! My wife did this and it changed all of here Outlook appointments (the computer assumed the original times were valid but that we had relocated the machine... it moved the appointment times ahead by 1 hour!).

I've since modified the registry to permanently fix this. If anyone needs the regedit fix for this, let me know and I'll post it.

Now, fixing the HCHII clock is another thing. Seems that should be patch-able, too!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Funny, I just came back from an overseas trip and the 777 I was on was an hour off. Wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for the pilot mentioning it over the PA.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:06 PM
World's First Hybrid

Does anyone have a WWV sync'd clock? My wave clock keeps going back and forth between EST and DST. Some mornings it's 1 hour slow and then the next morning it's back on track.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Does anyone have a WWV sync'd clock? My wave clock keeps going back and forth between EST and DST. Some mornings it's 1 hour slow and then the next morning it's back on track.
A lot of those "atomic clocks" feature changeable time zones. Perhaps you or someone else is inadvertently hitting the "zone" button.

You can also dial WWV from anywhere in the world at 303/499-7111. It's great for synchronizing wristwatches. Just make sure you know where you are in relation to GMT.

Quick Reply: Daylight Savings Time Changed correctly? NOT

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands