HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Dealer told me they dont know how to fix it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dealer told me they dont know how to fix it!

twuelfing, have you tried another Dealer? H

Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 AM

twuelfing, have you tried another Dealer?H

Old 10-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
twuelfing, have you tried another Dealer?H
what would be the point?

there is a design flaw, there is no fix and Honda says its operating normally.

i am not trying to be difficult here, but I just dont see what they can do. Please let me know if you have a reason to believe my results will be different at another dealer.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:08 AM

Who told you it is a design flaw, the dealer you have been taking your car to? I would try another dealer! My 2006 does not give problems when over 100d. The ac keeps the car temperature normal. Worth a try!H

Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Who told you it is a design flaw, the dealer you have been taking your car to? I would try another dealer! My 2006 does not give problems when over 100d. The ac keeps the car temperature normal. Worth a try!H
do you ever have more than one person in the car? park your car in the sun for a few hours when its 90 or more degrees, then take 3 of your friends in the car with the AC on. Your car will overtemp and your IMA system will shut down. It will probably happen with several passengers at lower temps. With 3 - 5 people in the car and no IMA the ICE can hardly move the car down the road. Its very dangerous so be careful.

it is not throwing any errors, all systems are working as designed and there isnt anyway to repair the vehicle. The regional honda service rep said there is nothing they can do to make it work any better. The only alternative is a design flaw. I say flaw because the car is going into an over temp protection mode to protect the battery during normal vehicle operation.

what other conclusion can be made?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ok I have booked an appointment. Lets see how long they will let me keep the rental as I know they wont be able to fix the car.
I will be telling them not to expect the rental back until there has been something done to make the car work properly.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by twuelfing
do you ever have more than one person in the car? park your car in the sun for a few hours when its 90 or more degrees, then take 3 of your friends in the car with the AC on. Your car will overtemp and your IMA system will shut down. It will probably happen with several passengers at lower temps. With 3 - 5 people in the car and no IMA the ICE can hardly move the car down the road. Its very dangerous so be careful.

it is not throwing any errors, all systems are working as designed and there isnt anyway to repair the vehicle. The regional honda service rep said there is nothing they can do to make it work any better. The only alternative is a design flaw. I say flaw because the car is going into an over temp protection mode to protect the battery during normal vehicle operation.

what other conclusion can be made?
I think his question is... did you hear it from the service rep directly? or through the dealer you took the vehicle to?

Lets be honest. Service reps at dealerships (heck anywhere) do not like admitting they don't know whats going on. Its entirely possible the guy you took it to can't figure it out... but rather than admit they can't figure it out themselves they might tell you whatever it took to convince you its not "their fault".

I agree with the other poster. I'd take it somewhere else for confirmation before I gave up on it as a "design flaw." It may be a design flaw... but maybe you just have something wrong with your A/C. As for throwing a service code. Not everything that can go wrong with a vehicle is going to show up as a diagnostic code. There are some mechanics out there that have gotten so used to the car telling them whats wrong that they just aren't good mechanics anymore. Sometimes problems take some knowledge and skill to diagnose and not every tech is up to it.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I think his question is... did you hear it from the service rep directly? or through the dealer you took the vehicle to?

Lets be honest. Service reps at dealerships (heck anywhere) do not like admitting they don't know whats going on. Its entirely possible the guy you took it to can't figure it out... but rather than admit they can't figure it out themselves they might tell you whatever it took to convince you its not "their fault".

I agree with the other poster. I'd take it somewhere else for confirmation before I gave up on it as a "design flaw." It may be a design flaw... but maybe you just have something wrong with your A/C. As for throwing a service code. Not everything that can go wrong with a vehicle is going to show up as a diagnostic code. There are some mechanics out there that have gotten so used to the car telling them whats wrong that they just aren't good mechanics anymore. Sometimes problems take some knowledge and skill to diagnose and not every tech is up to it.
the fact that it cant be fixed is coming from Honda, not the dealer. The regional service rep from honda said there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. This in spite of the paperwork i have from honda calling my symptoms "Problem 15367"

the diagnosis quickly escalated beyond the technicians at the dealer. I was working with engineers at Honda. This is not a case of an under informed tech. Honda corporate told the dealer that they cannot fix it because its not broken. I will get a scanner and post the document from the honda engineers.

this is NOT and air conditioning problem. The car becomes all but un-drivable when this condition occurs.

I have an appointment next week at another dealer, but they wont be able to fix it either. I just want to cover my bases before i go to the next steps.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by twuelfing
this is NOT and air conditioning problem. The car becomes all but un-drivable when this condition occurs.
Thanks for the clarifications. Incidnetally.. when I implied A/C problem... I was assuming your vehicle uses an A/C system to cool the battery. I was thinking that it sounded like the A/C system for the battery wasn't sufficient to cool it causing the shutdown... not that the passenger compartment was too hot and uncomfortable. My Escape has an A/C for the battery. I don't think the Prius does.. I have no idea if the Honda's do.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Thanks for the clarifications. Incidnetally.. when I implied A/C problem... I was assuming your vehicle uses an A/C system to cool the battery. I was thinking that it sounded like the A/C system for the battery wasn't sufficient to cool it causing the shutdown... not that the passenger compartment was too hot and uncomfortable. My Escape has an A/C for the battery. I don't think the Prius does.. I have no idea if the Honda's do.
there is no AC going to the battery that I have seen, if there were this problem probably wouldnt exist.

if someone knows any different please let me know as i would be interested in learning about any temperature controls for the battery. I have checked the cooling fan that is in the pack, it is working perfect.

thanks for the info about the ford, i have gained much respect for ford and lost much for honda.

Quick Reply: Dealer told me they dont know how to fix it!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands