HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Getting better FE!
Default Disappointed

I just got my 2006 HCH about a week ago, and have driven a little over 200 miles. The average MPG is about 37. This is with me driving very conservatively (but nowhere near hypermiler standards I'm sure).

My carpool mate purchased a Toyota Camry Hybrid about a month ago. He's getting only a mile or two less than my Civic, and I would say is driving less conservatively than I am. The Camry by the way is very impressive - lots of room, great ride, more power, more features, and not much more money (he paid MSRP, I paid $1500 over). I bought the Civic because the Camry did not qualify for the carpool lane sticker in California.

So, I've got my tires at 35 psi (tried 38 and hated it), am using the A/C way less than I'd like to, and driving like my grandmother and getting 37 mpg.

I figured I'd at least be able to get over 40 and drive the car "like a regular car" and drive the speed limit on the freeway etc.

I've heard about an MPG increase after 3500 miles but am not sure what to expect in terms of the number.

I'm in serious buyer's remorse mode at the moment (just in case you couldn't tell...)

Old 07-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Disappointed

As I am sure you know, fuel economy depends on a variety of factors: temperature, driving style, tire pressure, gas type, etc.

That being said, I have easily attained 50 mpg (plus or minus 2 mpg) since purchasing the car 6000 miles ago and I don't drive much differently than I used to. Interestingly, even in the rain and other difficult highway driving conditions (traffic and hills), the worst FE I have ever received was around 44 mpg over the course of a trip.

Something doesn't seem right to me about your situation - I couldn't get below 40 mpg if I tried.

I wonder if anyone else will have some insight into this problem.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Personally I get only 35ish so I feel in the same boat. I however don't drive very conservative. The main reason for owning this thing is the economy and carpool advantage. If it wasn't for carpool I probably would have made another choice. The gutless aspect is another negative for me. This is not my only car so I'm not too concerned about it. I'm sure you'll grow to like it more.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Getting better FE!

I can't get 40 mpg *if* I try. Even with cruise control on, on what seems to be a flat road, the instant MPG guage is always less than 50.

Srfcty - do you happen to live in Santa Cruz, CA (Santa Cruz, along with Huntington Beach, claims the title of Surf City)? I'm in Aptos (6 miles south).

Old 07-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We've never managed to get below 43mpg on the highway, even with the AC on, driving 80-85mph. If I back down to 60-65, I can get 48 (still with the AC on). Going down to 55-60, I managed to hold 51.8 mpg for about 110 miles. The only hypermiling technique I use consistently is to keep the tires at 36psi. (I have yet to try 38.)

Most of our driving is here in NYC, where we always get at least 35mpg. Yeah, a Prius or a TCH could top that, but still, it's twice what we got in our CRV.

We just passed 6000 miles, but we've been getting this sort of mileage for the last 3K, at least.

Bill, you didn't mention what your commute was like, in terms of speed, traffic, and road.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slackandsteel
I can't get 40 mpg *if* I try. Even with cruise control on, on what seems to be a flat road, the instant MPG guage is always less than 50.
What does the trip mpg readout tell you?

And nix the cruise.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm on my first tank. At 520 miles and I'm getting 50.0 mpg. I'm at 52.2 for the last 400 miles.

I would say, don't drive like grandma. It's not all about going slow but learning when to coast, when to layoff the gas pedal, and so on.

I will admit, I learned a lot on this site (thanks to everyone) before I had the car, so I started off using many of the techniques that I read about here.

Also, my 17 yr old (on his permit) probably has 80 miles on the car and the mpg has steadily risen even with him driving.

I haven't changed or even checked the tire pressure yet, so I don't know what it is.

I haven't used a/c at all other than to check it out briefly.

Stick with it and good luck.

Mike

Old 07-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hey guys, hang in there !! My first tank on my 2004 HCH was 38.41 and I ended up at 48 MPG for the life of the car before I traded for my TCH.

As far as the air pressure goes, though, keeping at 35 is going to HURT you. I had mine at 50+ most of the time. You can get used to the handling and the rougher feeling if you care that much about saving gas money.

Read up on the techniques here, and use the "feather the pedal" method at all opportunities.

It will get better because the technology is proven and bulletproof, so hang in there !!

Old 07-19-2006, 08:34 AM
Getting better FE!

My commute is pretty variable.

On the way to work (to the meetup spot for my carpool) , I drive about 10 miles with little traffic, at least 8 of it highway. This is early morning, cool weather.

Coming home is a different situation. The traffic is horrible stop and go for at least 5-6 miles. Just inching along. This is where I really wish I had the ability to drive on electric only and shut off the gas engine.

I'll need to start setting the trip meter for each commute to see what I average on that.

By the way, the best mileage I have gotten is from the dealer to my house when I picked up the car. That was about a 30 mile trip, mostly at about 50mph with little
traffic. I got 46 mpg on that stretch but have consistently been in the 30s ever since.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slackandsteel
My commute is pretty variable.

On the way to work (to the meetup spot for my carpool) , I drive about 10 miles with little traffic, at least 8 of it highway. This is early morning, cool weather.

Coming home is a different situation. The traffic is horrible stop and go for at least 5-6 miles. Just inching along. This is where I really wish I had the ability to drive on electric only and shut off the gas engine.

I'll need to start setting the trip meter for each commute to see what I average on that.

By the way, the best mileage I have gotten is from the dealer to my house when I picked up the car. That was about a 30 mile trip, mostly at about 50mph with little
traffic. I got 46 mpg on that stretch but have consistently been in the 30s ever since.
To me, it sounds like your economy is more of a function of your commute time/distance. What's the typical commute like for the Camry Hybrid?

I have a 160 miles/day commute where I typically drive about 20% above the speed limit (I don't go above 77 in a 65, but I will still cruise about 70 - 75 in the 55). My commute is about 100 miles highway and the rest local driving (speed limits ranging from 25 to 50).

When I first got my car, I was averaging between 40 and 43 for the first few tanks. I was actually very happy with that as I went from 15 - 18 mpg (depending on which vehicle I drove), so I was using about 8.5 to 10.5 gallons per day down to under 4 so it was a real savings of 4 to 6 gallons/day. I've had my car for 3.5 months and I just broke 10.5K so that's a significant savings in a short period of time.

Since I broke 3500 miles, I'm about 53 mpg, so I'm now down to about 3 gallons/day. I have learned when to coast and drive with load, but my commute time has been the same - I just spend less time braking or sitting at a light. I would not say I drive conservative. I have my tires set at 40 psi.

Good luck with it!

Quick Reply: Disappointed

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands