HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Do I put money into my '06 HCH II w/95k miles

Old 03-13-2018, 09:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default Do I put money into my '06 HCH II w/95k miles

So I need to ask the general question on if it's worth it to keep my HCH with the expectation of 40k or so miles of reliability low cost of ownership ahead.

Background:

I purchased the car used two years ago for $4,600 with 78,000 miles. The original owner had the IMA battery replaced in April of 2014 with 55k miles on it and the software updated. I have not had any IMA troubles that I can report. From what I can tell I'm out of warranty coverage.

I currently have 95k miles on it.

The AC compressor died and I am looking at a $1,200 repair bill to replace that.
The motor mounts are failing and the the problem is noticeable in cold weather (but I'm in FL so that's not a big deal).
The transmission is jerking a little. From what I can read this is a matter of doing a few flushes.

So all that to say, I am thinking about $2k to get this car up to scratch which I think makes sense if I can get 40k-50k more miles out of it over the next few years. Is that a good idea? If I decide to proceed with the work, should I get a grid charger to prolong the battery life too?

Old 03-13-2018, 09:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Do I put money into my '06 HCH II w/95k miles

You understand that you are the only one who can answer this question, right? I mean, I don't have access to your bank accounts, income, mental risk thresholds, etc.

But I can walk you through the process *I* use to make my own decisions:

Foundation: If I buy a car for $10K and I get 100K miles out of it, I'm happy. That means that I'm willing to spend $0.10/mile in car payments and/or repairs. I will continue to repair a car until it becomes too unreliable from a timing perspective, e.g., car is "in the shop" or down for maintenance to the degree that it's very inconvenient.

Assumption: Car is paid for.

Weigh against: replacement cost.

IMHO, 40-50K out of an IMA battery that already has 40K on it is not likely. With a grid charger, possibly, so you absolutely need a grid charger or to budget for a replacement battery in the next 40-50K miles.

DIY ($1200):
Compressor $400 (salvage yard + cost of evac and recharge at dealership)
Motor mounts $200 (aftermarket parts)
3 changes to do a CVT flush $90 (9 qts of genuine Honda CVT fluid)
Grid charger/discharger $500

or something closer to $2500 if you don't DIY - I question your compressor numbers as the last time I checked, a new COMPLETE compressor was around $900 NEW from an online discounted dealership price. I was quoted $2K for replacement by the dealer.

Compare those costs to the desired outcome of 40-50K. Both are under my threshold, so if the past 40K miles of ownership have been acceptably reliable, I would personally continue to repair the car.

I have owned 2X '06 HCH, and they were sold at 150K and 220K miles. I replaced a lot of IMA batteries between them (all DIY stuff). The 220K car needed Cat, mounts and compressor.

So, the bottom line is you need to look at the anticipated costs of repairing this vehicle vs. the cost of your replacement options over the next 40-50K miles.

Good luck.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast

To clarify, I found a company on eBay that rebuilds tells rebuilt compressors with a 1 year warranty for about $450. Local shop quoted around $820 to install.

I've seen used grid chargers go on eBay for around $200.

Honestly, not a DIY person.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikeinmlb
To clarify, I found a company on eBay that rebuilds tells rebuilt compressors with a 1 year warranty for about $450. Local shop quoted around $820 to install.

I've seen used grid chargers go on eBay for around $200.

Honestly, not a DIY person.
If the comp install includes evac and recharge with HONDA COMPRESSOR OIL, then it's a good deal. The oil is amazingly expensive, and it's actually special. I wouldn't use anything else for fear of throwing the money down the toilet.

BTW... has the compressor actually failed, or is it just leaking and needs recharging?

I'm an authorized installer of Hybrid Automotive grid chargers, and I have been dealing with failed IMA/hybrid batteries for 5 years. Yes, there are cheaper units out there, but HA has been around a long time, they support their product, and they promote best practices. For these reasons I endorse them. I have purchased other grid chargers, and in most cases, their reduced price is grossly inflated for what you get. I'm not impressed by $7 power supplies installed with double sided tape or hot glue.

Whatever you buy needs to have provisions for DISCHARGING the pack manually. Discharging is equally as important as charging to ensure maximum available capacity. The act of repeatedly charging a battery necessitates discharging as the low current over-charging inherent in the process causes capacity loss every time it's done.