HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Does anyone have 2 carseats in the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Does anyone have 2 carseats in the rear?

We are expecting our second. Our first is still in a rear-facing car seat and it really only fits in the middle -- it comes a bit between the front seats.

In nine months, she'll fit forward-facing behind the driver's seat, but I think the rear-facing seat will only fit behind the passenger seat if that seat is so far forward no adult will fit comfortably -- did that make sense?

Also, I am fairly certain with two carseats in the rear there will be absolutely no room for an adult back there. This is something was nearly necessary for our first. I'm not sure how common this is, but my wife nursed our infant to sleep in the car seat many times.

I can't imagine all those needs being met without something of minivan size, but I cringe when I see the Odyssey gets 16mpg City.

It also feels a bit ridiculous that only two kids requires a minivan!

Anyone have experience with this? I have nine months to figure this out.

I wish but doubt a diesel-hybrid Honda Stream will be out by then.

Thanks, nf

Old 06-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does anyone have 2 carseats in the rear?

First of all, congrats!

I only have one car seat in the back and it takes up a lot of room. BTW, it's a Britax Marathon. If I had two of those back there, I only think a small child could fit. Wow, I've never heard of a woman breast feeding a child in the car, while, in the car seat. It just doesn't seem safe. Anyways, when #2 comes, we'll be getting a minivan. My parents come over a lot and we go to a lot of places together. It would be nice just to take one car.

Peace,
Paul

Old 06-18-2008, 09:25 AM

Thanks,

Yes it will be a tight squeeze any way we try. I guess I'll just have to get back there with the seats and see what fits where.

On the BF -- it's rare, we are always moving, and everyone is buckled in. We can't all sit like crash test dummies all the time. My carseat was a box on the battery in an MGB.

Anyway, a minivan would be ideal except for the cost and consumption.

nf

Old 06-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

My Britax is currently front facing and behind the passenger's seat. I can't imagine having another car seat behind me. I'm 6' 1" and have my seat back all the way and pretty reclined. I guess you just have to weight the cost of the minivan... Definitely, we would use it sparely. Also, would be looking for used and not a new one.

Paul

Old 06-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Enthusiast

We have two seats in the rear of our 08 HCH and there is no issue with room. Both of ours are forward facing for a 3 and 5 year old. Prior to this we had a Sub Forester which had less room in the rear and did not have any problems fitting the rear facing seat for one and the forward facing for the other. You should be fine.

The rear facing seat was on the passenger side as my wife is shorter and I tended to do most of the driving (I'm 5'11"). As I said above I would not think twice about having the same set up in a HCH, it would actually be slightly roomier....the HCH seats are deeper than the Sub's were.

Regards

(edited for spelling)

Last edited by eradicator; 06-18-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've had two car seats in the back of my 07 HCH for my grandchildren. One front facing on the right side and the rear facing in the middle. There is room for an adult on the left side still (it may be a tight fit if you are a larger individual).

Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 AM

We have a 2006 HCH-II. Our daughter recently turned 2. She now sits forward facing behind the passenger seat in an Evenflo Triumph. The passenger seat needs to be scooted up slightly for her to have some leg room. When she was rear facing, the passenger seat had to be scooted up quite a bit. The passenger seat was still fine for my wife, and I usually drive when we're all together. My son sits behind the driver seat in a booster seat.

You could consider the new Highlander instead of a minivan. We had an Odyssey too, but we traded it in on the HiHy just over a year ago. Minivans are great. It's too bad they guzzle so much gas.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:17 AM

Thanks all for the encouragement. I'll probably start trying the puzzle of it all this weekend.

Cheers, nf

Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Excited to have it!

Congrats!

Since it sort of depends on the bulkiness of the car seats, I would suggest going to one of the baby mega stores and getting someone there to help you find the seat(s) that will fit best.

There can be big differences in bulkiness of the seats available.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

If it makes you feel any better, lots of people get a minivan or a large wagon once they have two kids.

The Civic isn't intended as a family hauler, but I applaud you for trying.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have 2 carseats in the rear?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands