HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

does anyone have a solution for rear tire wear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default does anyone have a solution for rear tire wear?

I have an `07 honda civic hybrid. I had the rear control arms replaced at 40,000 km, under warranty, honda kicked in half for the tire (4)replacement. Temporary bliss. I am now at 80,000 km, (50,000 miles) and the rear tires need replacing again. Obviously the control arm replacement was a FAIL! (Unless a snow brush and a roll of paper towel is pushing the cargo weight limit?) The rear tires are literally roaring to be replaced, the fronts are fine. I don't think honda knows how to fix this and i certainly don't want anymore dunpoop tires. Does anyone know of an after market solution? Or is it just throwing good money after bad?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Ken

Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: does anyone have a solution for rear tire wear?

Take it to a regular alignment shop.You may have better luck. After Honda changed my control arms ,I got less than 5000 miles out of my rears. In fairness to Honda they used a jobber to align it. H

Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had mine replaced too. Honda's solution to the rear tire cupping issue was... new tires. After a long discussion (sure, changing to new tires will give me tires without any cupping... until they cup again!) I had them replace the rear control arms. I had to replace my tires out of my own dime. Used some Michelin. Several years later, they went with the car still in good shape. But I traded the car with 66000 miles so the new tires had probably just 30.000 miles on them. By that milleage the original ones where done already.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast

Try a different alignment shop. A bad alignment after replacing my rear control arms completely destroyed the tires within about 10,000 miles. After getting a proper alignment at a different dealership I've had no problems. Sometimes, the techs just get it wrong.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If your not running max cold air pressures you will get more wear! H

Old 10-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Enthusiast

My car had the rear control arms replaced by the dealer and the rear tire wear (cupping) continued.

My understanding is that excessive negative camber causes the tire wear.

The updated Honda parts are not adjustable and my car still did not have the correct alignment.

I corrected this over a year ago, and no more tire noise or cupping.

I ordered adjustable camber arms from Tire Rack and had them installed. With the adjustable parts the alignment can be done to spec.