HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Does coasting in N and dropping into D while moving hurt the CVT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Does coasting in N and dropping into D while moving hurt the CVT?

I read about the technique at HybridCars.

Feels fine. Seems like the car will definately coast longer. Is it worth it when you don't need the regen?

Old 11-12-2006, 07:05 PM
The Devil's in the detail
Default Re: Does coasting in N and dropping into D while moving hurt the CVT?

Sounds good but doesn't this present a problem with vehicle control? I wouldn't think that it would cause any problem with the CVT, after all it's just another auto trans, and you can do that with any other auto.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

I don't really see the point. If you don't need the regen, feather your gas pedal to get the neutral regen/assist you're looking for. Same end result (coasting with sealed valves), but safer since you now have the option of sudden gas pedal stomping if you see someone about to clip you from behind, or instant regen if you hit the brakes to avoid a furry critter in the road (car can't regen while in neutral).

Old 11-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Energy Independence

There HAVE been various reports of some people that used to do it all the time deciding to discontinue the practice, mainly out of fear of premature wear on the CVT. Even WITH rev-matching to minimize the jolt for the CVT. I remember reading the pros and cons about it on this site (many months ago). I don't think it's worth the risks to the CVT. Now manual trannies (on the HCH1's and Insights) are another matter.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

plus, doesn't shifting to neutral make the engine idle? As such, you would still burn gas (albeit a little), while staying in drive and coasting will seal the valves and burn zero fuel in the process.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:36 AM

As others have stated, once shifted to neutral, the engine must burn fuel to idle (vs. having the valves closed and no fuel injected in "D"). The only way to avoid that would be to turn off the engine and coast. That's dangerous (loss of power braking, steering, possibility of turning the key too far and locking your steering, etc.). And yes, it's probably not too good for the CVT, too!

Old 11-13-2006, 11:44 AM

Well maybe our concerns should be relayed to HybridCars.com since they list it as a FE techinique.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
As others have stated, once shifted to neutral, the engine must burn fuel to idle (vs. having the valves closed and no fuel injected in "D"). The only way to avoid that would be to turn off the engine and coast. That's dangerous (loss of power braking, steering, possibility of turning the key too far and locking your steering, etc.). And yes, it's probably not too good for the CVT, too!
After turning the engine off, the power brakes are still there for at least a few presses. Also, the power steering kicks back in after a few seconds. I occasionally do this in my car.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noflash
Well maybe our concerns should be relayed to HybridCars.com since they list it as a FE techinique.
Do they list it as an FE technique specifically for the HCHII? The HCHI did not have valve seal while coasting, as I understand it. So it may be a better technique for that and other vehicles. I'm with the others. With the valves sealed and no fuel going to the engine, I don't see how coasting with the engine idling could be more efficient. But that's an argument specific to the HCHII.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:55 AM

It's in the HCH section. Their argument is that you can coast further without the engine-braking regen.

Here's the link:
http://www.hybridcars.com/gas-saving...ic-hybrid.html

Here's a quote:
Braking & Deceleration
Use every opportunity to coast rather than applying the brakes—even if it's only for a couple of hundred feet.

If you are comfortable with shifting back and forth from neutral, then slip into neutral to extend the duration of the coast. Coasting in neutral prevents regenerative braking, giving you a longer coast.

Anticipate short uphill stretches by gaining speed while approaching the hill, and coasting as far as possible up the incline.

Quick Reply: Does coasting in N and dropping into D while moving hurt the CVT?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands